Ultimate Collection: Phantasy Star confirmed!

Quest for justice and vengeance with the beginning of the saga.

Postby PSP » Sun Jan 18, '09, 8:33 pm

Wow, those look horrible. Stretching the aspect ratio and the filtering they're using...with the power of the PS3/Xbox 360, you'd think they would implement something better. Like HQ4x or something. This just looks like blurry garbage.

Oh well, my purchase is canceled.

-Corey
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Postby Lemina » Sun Jan 18, '09, 10:02 pm

hugues wrote:What I assume are the original full-size screenshots are located here:
ftp://segapr.segaamerica.com/SEGA_News/Sonic%27s%20Ultimate%20Genesis%20Collection%20Screens%20-%20January%2013th/

Looks like they're being stretched to fit a wide-screen display, I bet it looks much better if the original aspect ratio is maintained.

I hate to be a clueless n00b here, but how do you guys open .tif files?

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Thoul » Mon Jan 19, '09, 2:16 pm

You need a dedicated image program, since most web browsers won't open them; Microsoft Paint will do. Or you could just look at the jpg versions I've just added to this Ultimate Collection page here.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Thoul » Thu Jan 22, '09, 8:31 pm

PSP wrote:Oh well, my purchase is canceled.

Don't forget, the HD filters are supposed to be optional and off by default. I'm not sure about the aspect ratio, but even despite how poor some of the released screens look, it might still be worth a purchase.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby LordShibas » Sun Jan 25, '09, 3:50 pm

This looks pretty interesting, solely for the Phantasy Star games. I'm not all that wild about the HD upgrade, it makes the characters look like they are made out of Play-Doh, but at least they are attempting to upgrade them somewhat. I'd actually prefer a PSP port of the PS and PS2 remakes, but I guess PS fans take what they can get these days.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Lemina » Sun Jan 25, '09, 8:51 pm

Thoul wrote:You need a dedicated image program, since most web browsers won't open them; Microsoft Paint will do. Or you could just look at the jpg versions I've just added to this Ultimate Collection page here.

Oo, thanks~

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Darkil » Sun Jan 25, '09, 11:11 pm

Well without making the games from scratch, they will look terrible stetched out beyond what they were originally made for. If anything it'd be like using the super gameboy on the SNES.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby PSP » Mon Jan 26, '09, 5:44 am

Thoul wrote:
PSP wrote:Oh well, my purchase is canceled.

Don't forget, the HD filters are supposed to be optional and off by default. I'm not sure about the aspect ratio, but even despite how poor some of the released screens look, it might still be worth a purchase.

True, I might check it out, but I honestly expected slightly better filtering. The aspect ratio stretching I can compensate for (my AV receiver can force a 4:3 AR), but the filtering...bleh. If I'm just paying for the old games on a single disc, whereas I can already use my PC and lineout to my TV using better filtering (and emulation, possibly)....it's a toss up. My money will be going to Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5 and importing Advent Children Complete on Blu-ray before I'd even think of this. A bit sad though, the PS3 is capable (and so is the 360 I'm sure) of much better without frame drops or anything.

Well without making the games from scratch, they will look terrible stetched out beyond what they were originally made for.

Not exactly. There's been much better filtering available, for free, for years. Here, check this out: http://www.hiend3d.com/hq4x.html

-Corey
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Postby Rune_Walsh » Mon Jan 26, '09, 11:59 pm

While I, also, was hoping for some brand-spanking new screenshots (think elaborate PSI remake stuff), I will still buy the collection. While original, the screenshots do appear to be brighter and more sharp than what I see from my classical Genesis playing - the picture of Rune all bright in particular is enough for me to plop down my money anyday. Tee. :heart:

Anyway, I am thrilled SEGA, inc. is remaking the series for the other gaming platforms. Long Live Phantasy Star!
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby hugues » Tue Jan 27, '09, 12:42 am

According to the 1up Retro Gaming Blog (http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8979541&publicUserId=5379721) the filters are indeed optional.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star