Potato diet for 60 days

Warning: Talking about food might make you hungry. ;)

Potato diet for 60 days

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Oct 4, '10, 8:03 pm

Chris Voigt, head of the Washington State Potato Commission says he is going to eat nothing but potatoes for 60 days to prove that they are a healthy food, etc.:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39445940/ns ... ?gt1=43001

It will be interesting to see how he does on this "diet".

I think he's got a great point, even if he may be going a little to the extreme in trying to get it across to the public, etc. I wish him luck, though. :yes:

If you think about it, there are so many ways you can eat potatoes, although, some of them do need other foods to help out a bit though.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Potato diet for 60 days

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Oct 4, '10, 10:30 pm

Potatoes are definitely a good food. Like any other veggie, there's plenty of good stuff found in them! But eating ONLY potatoes? Not a good idea, I think.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 5, '10, 4:00 am

Yeah, I was going to say that while I love potatoes and they're a great healthy food, eating only potatoes for an extended period would probably result in a lack of something the human body needs. The article mentions that this guy has consulted a dietitian about it and is going to take steps in regard to that, though. So hopefully there won't be a negative impact on his health.

Now if he can just get through those steak dinners. :lol:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby H-Man » Tue Oct 5, '10, 1:52 pm

Said a friend of mine about potatoes:

You'd never guess this from their current state of disfavor among health gurus, but the only nutrient needed by the human body that potatoes do not contain in useful quantities is protein. In fact, so long as you're eating the skins, it's possible to survive indefinitely in reasonably good heath on a diet that consists of nothing but potatoes and milk derivatives-- and the Irish peasantry's poorest stratum essentially did just that throughout most of the 18th and 19th centuries. That's why the potato famine was such a crushing catastrophe. When the potato crops failed, the subsistence farmers' whole diet went up in smoke.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby tilinelson2 » Tue Oct 5, '10, 3:05 pm

I don't know about this guy, but for me this diet would be a catastrophe. The way my metabolism works, I'd put on at least 30 pounds in 60 days.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Oct 6, '10, 7:44 pm

H-Man wrote:Said a friend of mine about potatoes:

You'd never guess this from their current state of disfavor among health gurus, but the only nutrient needed by the human body that potatoes do not contain in useful quantities is protein. In fact, so long as you're eating the skins, it's possible to survive indefinitely in reasonably good heath on a diet that consists of nothing but potatoes and milk derivatives-- and the Irish peasantry's poorest stratum essentially did just that throughout most of the 18th and 19th centuries. That's why the potato famine was such a crushing catastrophe. When the potato crops failed, the subsistence farmers' whole diet went up in smoke.

Very good quote by your friend, H-Man, and some very interesting information there about the nutrients in potatoes. I have no doubt that this guy can survive, and quite happily, on eating nothing but potatoes. They say variety is the spice of life, and if anything gets to him it will probably be the lack of variety in other foods he will not be eating. Although, I'll bet he makes up for it as soon as these 60 days are over. :wink:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Nov 30, '10, 11:04 pm

Bumping this topic up.

Remember the guy on the potato diet? Well, the diet is over now, and the guy lost about 20 something pounds!!!! Wow!!! He also lowered his cholesterol a great amount!!

http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Lifestyl ... d=26573005

I think he proved his point!!! :clap:

However, no doubt, he is ready to eat other things now. :wink:

Silver_Surfer1

Return to Delectable Delicacies