Trying a new look with a set of old eyes

Explore the Alisa III as it travels the stars.

Trying a new look with a set of old eyes

Postby Aeroprism » Mon Dec 1, '14, 10:04 pm

All this talk of skipping generations, kissing cousins and what have you are stirring my yearly PS3 craving. Driving back home, I was listening to my remixes and telling myself: "It's time."

I'd like to play PS3 but I think that this time, I would do it with a new outlook on the game. Exploring places I don't usually go and going left when I know I should be going right. Let's face it, with one Playthrough every year since 1990, I have this game beat close to 25 times already, most likely more. I know EXACTLY where to go to do everything in the most efficient way. (Oh look, albeit my best intention, I AM a RPG speedrunner. I officially bow my head in shame).

So this time, let's try PS3 with a different approach. Use techniques more? Talk to every NPC? Explore every house? Maybe do something crazy like trying to use shields??

What do you guys think?

And who should I pick? I have played Adan's 3rd gen to death (guess why, come on, GUESS IT) so it would be one of the other three. My first PS3 playthrough ever was with, then Aron, then Adan and Sean was my last. Any picks? Which journey has the best potential for craziness? An Ayn 2nd generation is always better but not necessary.

Any other ideas of how I could make this a different PS3 journey? One filled with nostalgia, wonder and crazy looking cyborgs?

Empty your minds, my coevals.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Re: Trying a new look with a set of old eyes

Postby Aeroprism » Tue Dec 2, '14, 12:42 pm

Since you don't get damaging techs until Wren, a tech only Gen 1 is impossible. A tech only play through could be fun but the menus are just too tedious to use. Also: dungeons have too many battles for the TP pool you have and there is no way outside the inn to recover TP. I do however want to try and see if Zan can be used effectively to mow down the lower row.

Seriously.. all I hear is fan-talk of PS5 and PS4 remake and PS1 remake. PS3 is the one who could use some love. If I had the necessary talent AND an infinite amount of hours to waste, I'd totally do that.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Snorb » Tue Dec 2, '14, 3:18 pm

All right, let's make Phantasy Star III a rather strange journey here.

• Use the Time/Order/Melee Techniques. (They're inexpensive to cast anyway.)
  • You never mentioned playing the last generation as Crys. (Tho to be fair, most of the third generation plays pretty much the same regardless of who Rhys and his son married.)
  • Don't use a character's "traditional" weapons. Of course, certain end-game exceptions come into play here, but hey, have Sari go after Siren with two needle guns! (Mieu and Wren are excused because they're only allowed to use claws and rifles anyway.)
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Aeroprism » Tue Dec 2, '14, 6:58 pm

I did mention Crys, in my head. You'll notice my first post, I said:

Aeroprism wrote:My first PS3 playthrough ever was with, then Aron, then Adan and Sean was my last.

Notice a missing word? Guess who was still sleep deprived when he typed that.

I tried the first needle gun but it's an exercise in frustration for two things:

1- I don't care that it hits a whole side of the battlefield, the damage suuuuuucks.
2- BLEEBEEDEEBEEDEE (my ears bleed).

I'll try later versions of this weapon to see if the damage output is respectable.

Mapping is fun. Problem is, I already did it once :D
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Tanith » Tue Dec 2, '14, 11:26 pm

Re: PS3 remakes. At one point a few years ago there were about a bajillion PS3 remakes going on at this forum and others, but those remakers have drifted away from the boards. There was only one remake I was interested in. The rest veered too far from the source material and/or used deplorable grammar.

My PS3 suggestion: Do a solo run, your choice of a new character per generation. Let the other characters' health dip to 0 and don't revive them.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Dec 3, '14, 1:07 am

Solo runs could make sense in a game where the system has variety and options. You can capitalize on a character's special spells, or on his really high agility or on his overwhelming strength to try and beat the challenge that is using only one character.

In PS3, your characters come in two varieties: 1- I can attack. 2- I can attack and use Res. So in essence, a PS3 solo run is the exact same thing as a normal run but 5x longer while not any funner.

I appreciate the idea but I don't think that it's what I'm looking for. Actually, PS3 is so limited/simplistic that what I'm looking for may simply not exist. Let's be honest, PS3 is about the ambiance and you can't really re-discover that.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Tanith » Wed Dec 3, '14, 3:30 am

Aeroprism wrote:In PS3, your characters come in two varieties: 1- I can attack. 2- I can attack and use Res. So in essence, a PS3 solo run is the exact same thing as a normal run but 5x longer while not any more fun.
Can't you use potions in battle? Not that it will make the game shorter, mind you, it'll just make solo-ing non-healing characters easier.

And about your last point: I'd say yeah, what you're looking for just isn't available for PSIII. If you mostly play to reach Adan and his ending, I'd switch it up to play Sean. I like his ending the best, anyway, because it doesn't involve some convoluted discovery of Earth.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Snorb » Wed Dec 3, '14, 5:47 am

Yeah, items are usable in battle in PSIII. (Monomates, Dimates, Trimates, Moon Dews, and Star Mists specifically, I legit don't know if there's any equipment that emulates Techniques when used.)

(EDIT: And about Sean, I actually consider his ending canon as far as the fanfics I write because like Tanith said, Earth isn't involved. The fact that he was the only character I beat the game with has everything nothing to do with it.)
Last edited by Snorb on Wed Dec 3, '14, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Tanith » Wed Dec 3, '14, 10:54 am

Ironically, my favorite third-generation hero is Crys. I just don't prefer his ending.

Snorb wrote:Yeah, items are usable in battle in PSIII. (Monomates, Dimates, Trimates, Moon Dews, and Star Mists specifically, I legit don't know if there's any equipment that emulates Techniques when used.)
The Force items are usable in battle. I remember this because you can "use the Force." I'm sure Sega meant that to be completely unintentional. Some of the Royal items have techniques, but not all of them, and Sari's initial knife is enchanted with something. I can't remember what, because it's much more useful as a knife. Gwyn's initial armor casts GIRES, which is hilarious, because Adan has, like, seventy healers in his party.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Dec 3, '14, 1:06 pm

I had no idea you could use items for techs in PS3, makes sense, if you ignore the God-awful menu system that makes PS3 look like an Atari game.

I was NOT aiming for an Adan game, I said I did it the most in the past for obvious reason. I'm almost done with the first generation and I plan to go with Ayn so, it will either be Crys (the first 3rd gen I ever completed) or Sean.

Personally, I have nothing against the fact that the ship rediscovers earth. It's the fact that the Alisa 3 magically ends up arriving during our era that makes me cringe.

Tanith wrote:Gwyn's initial armor casts GIRES, which is hilarious, because Adan has, like, seventy healers in his party.

This made me laugh :)

One thing that this replay has going on for me: ever since I joined here, I learned lots of PS-related stuff I didn't know about that originated from the various translations of works made by Sega Japan. This replay allows me to compare this "updated" outlook to the one I originally had when I played this game alone before the internet was a thing.

Take Lena for example:

According to most PS enthusiasts these day, she was Rhys's betrothed and he was a jerk for leaving her for Maia to a point where he is almost reviled.

Well, in my own American version of PS3, when they see each other, she goes "Hi, I'm Lena" and "Arm yourself well and go search for Maia!"

I don't know about you but I don't usually introduce myself to people I already know, especially if I'm supposed to marry them. Also, if my soon to be wife wanted to ditch me for some dude she just lost, I would certainly not cheer her up and encourage her to find him.

Interesting stuff.
Last edited by Aeroprism on Wed Dec 3, '14, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Next

Return to Phantasy Star III