Wonder Woman?

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Beyonce as Wonder Woman?

Yes
No votes
No
83%
Undecided
17%
Other - explain in post below
No votes

Total votes : 6

Wonder Woman?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Nov 10, '08, 10:44 pm

Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Thu May 13, '10, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Celeith » Mon Nov 10, '08, 10:49 pm

Blasphemy!!
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 11, '08, 1:05 am

Absolutely not. I'd want the movie to be good and true to the character. Wonder Woman is Greek from a tribe of woman with a culture spun off from ancient Greece. If they change her to black, they'll probably rewrite her history to give her roots in a black community (Africa, maybe?). That's not Wonder Woman; it's just somebody stealing the name.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Tue Nov 11, '08, 1:37 am

Thoul wrote:Absolutely not. I'd want the movie to be good and true to the character. Wonder Woman is Greek from a tribe of woman with a culture spun off from ancient Greece. If they change her to black, they'll probably rewrite her history to give her roots in a black community (Africa, maybe?). That's not Wonder Woman; it's just somebody stealing the name.

Thank You! And no I'm not Racist, its just exactly as Thoul says. Wonder Woman is from a Greek tribe of woman or Amazons in the early comics I believe. Changing her to have a African heritage just would ruin Wonder Woman. And cmon, Beyonce... God people >.< Thats like making Richard Simmons the Flash!
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Nov 12, '08, 5:15 am

Good points everyone raised about this choice possibly changing the history of Wonder Woman due to the African American / Greece factors. I really had not thought of that. It is an integral part of Wonder Woman's story though.

I voted undecided. If the history of the character was not changed, then I might be open to the idea. I wouldn't want to rule it out, however, I am not familiar with Beyonce's career beyond singing - anyone know if she has acted in anything before and if so, was she good at it? She is very beautiful and would certainly have that part sewed up. It will be interesting to see if she gets the role, or not.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 12, '08, 5:49 am

She's been in a few movies. I know she was in one with Steve Martin a while back... a Pink Panther remake, maybe? I'm not sure what it was.

Kaloes wrote:Thats like making Richard Simmons the Flash!

Argh, what a horrible mental image! :ill:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wonder Woman?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu May 13, '10, 9:21 pm

Bumping this thread up as I saw this article with actress Linda Carter (she played the role of "Wonder Woman" in the tv series) telling who she would like to play the role of Wonder Woman in a new film:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Lynda-Carte ... 18324.aspx

What do you think of her choice?

Although some might think her choice to be a little too old, personally, I think she would do well in the role.

Reading the comments below the article however, I think one of those has the perfect solution to play the part. It is actress Bridget Regan from "Legend Of The Seeker". She gets my vote. :yes:

Oh, and I think it would be an extremely good touch if they let actress Linda Carter have a role in the new movie, perhaps as Wonder Woman's mother. She would be awesome!

Comments or Opinions?

Silver_Surfer1

Re: Beyonce as Wonder Woman?

Postby Thoul » Thu May 13, '10, 9:28 pm

I have to agree that Sandra Bullock's too old to play the character now. A few years ago should would have been good for the role, but not now. Comic book movies are made with a franchise in mind - if they do well, many of the same cast members will usually return for a sequel. Bullock's too old to keep a franchise like this going for years.

Bridget Regan, now, she'd be perfect. :up:

Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman's mother could work pretty well. It would be a nice nod, since in the comic stories the mother has also been Wonder Woman at some points.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rune_Walsh » Fri May 14, '10, 12:11 am

I honestly don't think a person's "race" has anything to do with awesomely portraying a comic book character, or not. If you want to get into specifics, Semitic Phoenicians and the European Greeks and Romans settled and blended in with North African people. Who knows, Beyonce probably has some Greek roots as she almost certainly has Latin roots (supposedly she is part French-Creole). Are we going to say she can't make a convincing "Wonder Woman" character because of an allele which determines skin and/or hair pigmentation?

Some info on the Amazon, ripped from one website:

There is a growing body of evidence that the Amazons were as real as the civilizations who wrote of them. They governed large areas of Europe, Asia Minor and Africa. Cities named Amazonium were established on Pontus and the Island of Patmos and numerous ancient cities in Europe, Asia Minor and the islands of the Aegean Sea, including Smyrma and Ephesus, claimed to have been founded by Amazons. A number of these cities stamped coins commemorating their Amazon founders and built statues and temples in their honor. This fact that the Amazon women were indeed real has been corroborated by historian Jessica Salmonson. According to her the Amazons belonged to different matriarchal societies, one of which was a clan of Libyan women warriors who originated on Tritonia, an island off the African coast. Even Herodotus wrote of the Libyan Amazons military power that was in prominence in the late sixth century BC.

Now let's take Catwoman, for instance, in comic book history. In Batman no. 35 she is a redhead. Later, in Tim Burton's film, she is a blonde, blue-eyed vixen. In more recent years, she has short brunette hair. Which is the more "authentic" version of her, if there is one? And just for the record -- Halle Berry made one hell of a sexy Catwoman, but the movie itself was just awful. I don't blame her, I blame the terrible script.

I don't want Beyonce as Wonder Woman because she's so mainstream, and I'm all for a lesser known person filling the role. It has nothing to do with skin color, and it shouldn't.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Fri May 14, '10, 12:36 am

My concern with Beyonce in the role is less her race and more writers changing the character. Comic book movies are already notorious for being unfaithful to the source material. Take that Catwoman movie for instance. The title character in that movie has absolutely nothing to do with the comic character aside from including a whip and a cat themed mask. And I'm not even considering race or appearance there - there's just nothing in common storywise. It's due to a terrible script, like you said.

Wonder Woman's Amazons, even in the comics, include black women. I don't have a problem with them being included in a film. I just don't want the writers to be tempted to change the fundamental properties of the title character to fit the person in the role. If they get a lesser known name, there will be less pressure to do that.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Feature Films