Tribute to Alys

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

Tribute to Alys

Tribute to Alys

View Gallery Page

Tribute to Alys

Postby Lyla2284 » Fri May 21, '10, 9:56 am

No explanation needed. A pencilled fan-art that I coloured in about 2 and a half hours in Paint Shop Pro 8, then added the after effects afterwards.

I refuse to use lighting effects, as they are generally frowned upon in the professional art industry to make an amateur piece of work look a bit better, especially the Lens Flare in Photoshop. My lecturers told me when I was studying graphic design in 2008 that it's an absolute no-no. ^^ I only used it in one of my fan-arts so far (the Sunburst in PSP 8, effect), but I tend to avoid it now. ><
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Re: Tribute to Alys

Postby Tanith » Fri May 21, '10, 1:32 pm

Oooh! Nice slicer action!
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Tsunami » Sat May 22, '10, 8:57 am

I dunno if it's just my being observant, but I'd say you've gotten better with anatomy. Either way, it's a very nice piece and I thank you for sharing. ^_^ As a small critique, her arm seems off a bit, but I can't say much since arms at that angle are tricky to draw and I'd say that the back of her head should be more...rounded? I dunno how to describe it, but the shape of her cranium seems a little flat.

Overall, it is nice and the coloring is good~ :3 Keep up the artsy stuffs, it interests me when I see any form of Phan-works.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Lyla2284 » Sat May 22, '10, 10:39 am

Tsunami wrote:I dunno if it's just my being observant, but I'd say you've gotten better with anatomy. Either way, it's a very nice piece and I thank you for sharing. ^_^ As a small critique, her arm seems off a bit, but I can't say much since arms at that angle are tricky to draw and I'd say that the back of her head should be more...rounded? I dunno how to describe it, but the shape of her cranium seems a little flat.

Overall, it is nice and the coloring is good~ :3 Keep up the artsy stuffs, it interests me when I see any form of Phan-works.

Alys' arm does seem a bit off, doesn't it? Foreshortening is so hard to do, and I'm doing my best to master it. As for Al's head, well, that would probably be attributed to the shading of her hair. It's a bit flat on top, so it gives the illusion that her entire head is flat... :p

And thanks for the observation,Tsu. I have gotten better lately, but a long, painful journey still lies ahead for me...
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Tsunami » Sat May 22, '10, 10:51 am

Lyla2284 wrote:Alys' arm does seem a bit off, doesn't it? Foreshortening is so hard to do, and I'm doing my best to master it. As for Al's head, well, that would probably be attributed to the shading of her hair. It's a bit flat on top, so it gives the illusion that her entire head is flat... :p

And thanks for the observation,Tsu. I have gotten better lately, but a long, painful journey still lies ahead for me...
Well, I meant more of squished horizontally rather than vertically for the head, if that makes sense. Sorry for the confusion. ^^;; But I do try my best to give good, constructive criticism if I feel it's deserved (and it is very much so in your case, I'll have you know). :D

Yes, I am smothering you with compliments and buttering you up. I won't deny nor hide this fact. :mrgreen:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Lyla2284 » Sat May 22, '10, 10:54 am

No, no, no. I don't want compliments, just honest, sincere criticism. Anything to help me improve at my artwork. What about your's Tsu? Have anything you want share with us?

Now I see the error. Hmm, nothing I can do now, is there.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Tsunami » Sat May 22, '10, 11:04 am

Lyla2284 wrote:No, no, no. I don't want compliments, just honest, sincere criticism. Anything to help me improve at my artwork.
I know, but compliments do fuel drive. :3 (I will admit that I am curious about what you'll come up with next!) Though, I am very honest with my critiques.

What about your's Tsu? Have anything you want share with us?
Erm. Well, I made some silly things in microsoft paint and submitted it to the board. :p It wasn't serious or anything. However, when it comes to drawing and such, I am really out of practice... :oops: I am told constantly that I need to get back into it, but I really lack motivation when it comes down to it.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Lyla2284 » Sat May 22, '10, 11:11 am

Practice makes perfect Tsu. Do you know how long I've been drawing the PS4 cast?

8 years, and I still have trouble at times with their anatomy. >< I must have drawn Alys at least 1000 times... followed by Rune. And that was when I drew every single darn day.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon May 24, '10, 7:49 pm

Very striking photo of Alys! Wonderful! :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby H-Man » Tue Jul 13, '10, 12:20 pm

This is three different types of awesome. Loved it.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Next

Return to Artwork