Minecraft Free-To-Play Weekend

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Minecraft Free-To-Play Weekend

Postby Atlinsmere » Sun Sep 19, '10, 10:26 am

I'm sure you guys have heard of the game Minecraft by now, heck, I've mentioned it more than once here myself. Well, do to a slow server, Notch had to disable a bunch of features in order for his paying customers to download the latest version.

So simply put, now is your time to try out the game if you want. If you like it, when Notch gets his site running again. But the game. It is currently in Alpha and at 1/2 price. Should be $9.95 Euros I think it was or about $13.50 US.

The following is taken straight from Notch's Tumblr page which can be found here.

Notch wrote:Free Minecraft until this gets fixed

Phew. Wow. I never should’ve tried doing an update without fixing the performance issues.

I’ve disabled everything CPU intensive on the web server now, and put the downloads on an Amazon Cloud thingie. Since I’ve disabled payments as well, this means that Minecraft will be free to play until this all gets sorted.

For more information, go to http://www.minecraft.net/

Also, depending on how things go on Notch's end, this may be slightly free longer than he'd like. So act now on this limited time offer. =D
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Re: Minecraft Free-To-Play Weekend

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue Sep 21, '10, 11:11 pm

Thought I'd post a little more for those who don't know what to think of Minecraft.

To start off, let's start with an Australian gaming show review.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/video ... 30&story=5

Next, we'll move onto a player review who goes into detail with the game.

And lastly a fan made trailer

With that I'll say this, don't knock it till you try it. And time is running out for the free-to-play weekend. This free version doesn't have the sound files for it, but I do have the files if you want to have sound. Just PM me.
Atlinsmere

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 22, '10, 12:26 am

It looks pretty fun! I wish I had the time to try the game out.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Sep 22, '10, 1:53 am

It's very fun. By very fun I mean VERY fun. And addicting too. In the last 48 hours I probably spent 8-15 hours playing it. <.<
Atlinsmere

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Sep 22, '10, 2:51 am

UPDATE

Free to play weekend is OVER.

Notch wrote:Minecraft.net is up, but still slow, and people are buying the game too fast

Ok, so Minecraft.net is back up. It’s still not perfect, and there’s still a lot of stuff to be fixed. We haven’t switched over to the new code yet.

First, the important thing:
If you buy the game, it can take a while minutes to clear because people are buying the game faster than the payments can be processed! Paypal is queuing them up at the moment. You WILL get your game if you pay for it.

Secondly, minecraft classic is offline until I can move that out into a cloud based content distribution thing as well.

I will post more information on exactly what’s going on tomorrow. For now, I need rest.

[edit:]

Ok, payments are processing a lot faster now after I removed an unneeded synchronization.

So for those who didn't get to play, I cry for you. T-T
Atlinsmere

Return to In the News