Touching and emotional game moments

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Postby Tsunami » Thu Nov 6, '08, 11:05 pm

Ah...spoiler tags. <3 I hate to say that I had to skip around posts as I didn't want to get spoiled when it came to certain games (like Okami, my boyfriend liked the game and had recommended it to me). And I dislike spoilers mostly if I do plan on playing a game. :D

So I will avoid spoiler tags since if I use them, you'll see nothing but white in my post. xD

Lemina, that part from Chrono Cross is sad. T_T CC was a really good game, and I also thought that the part where you see Kid stabbed by Serge (really Lynx) and Serge (who was now Lynx) was distraught was also a powerful moment -- even if I admittedly don't care for Kid much, it just stood out for me as emotional...

Also, in BoF2 towards the end, the game upset me (which was odd, considering how light-hearted the game felt for the most part until the corrupted religion became involved). Really though, I was, well, stunned. Such a happy game pulled a 180 on me... I'll cut to the chase and simply say that when Tiga and Claris are killed I was shocked by the brutality of it, the members of St. Eva's church were rooting for this and cheering it on. And moments later while progressing through the dungeon, Rand's mother sacrifices herself in order to save Rand's life. Also, the part where Mina, Nina's little sister tells Nina that she'll become the great bird so Nina could continue fighting, that really just...wow. Brave girl, sad turn of events as she had sacrificed her humanity in order to do so. Seems the game developers wanted the theme of sacrificing characters to be strong in this game, as Ryu's mother pratically commits suicide just to open the gate to Infinity. :\

And PSIV deserves a mention! Alys' death from PSIV will probably be one of my top emotional game moments. I recall bawling my eyes out as a child when "Her Last Breath" started playing.

I may have gone overboard on details/spoilers here (for BoF2 anyways). :D I don't think I'll spoil any extra games, otherwise my post would be freaking huge. D:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Fri Nov 7, '08, 7:24 pm

I thought of another good one. Mareg on the moon in Grandia II. Now that was a great self sacrifice scene.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Fri Nov 7, '08, 8:17 pm

Nah a great emotional scene from the Grandia series would have to be in the first one when Leen is speaking over the intercom about her love for General Mullen and then she sacrifices herself to stop the demons "Gaia I believe I haven't played in so long" from spreading across the world. That scene is just so emotional.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Nov 14, '08, 2:18 am

Okay, I have to post another one. And I'm not using spoiler tags this time because otherwise my whole post will be nothing but white. So...if you don't mind having the end of Mother 3 spoiled, read on. If you do mind, quit reading now, you've been warned.

*SPOILER*

At the end of Mother 3, the final boss fight is actually NOT the main villain. The main villain who's been causing all the trouble is Pokey from Earthbound and I'm not going to explain how he is in Mother 3 under the new name Porky. But it is the same guy. You fight him in a big spider robot (the one he has in the Subspace Emissary mode in Smash Bros. Brawl) before the final boss, then locks himself in the 'Absolutely Safe Capsule' that he can never get out of. From there, you advance to the final of the seven needles. Three needles have been pulled by Lucas, and three by a mysterious masked man. On your way to the final boss, you run into Flint, Lucas' father, who reveals that the masked man is Claus, Lucas' twin brother. He went missing at the very beginning of the game. Now, to the player, the masked man's identity becomes clear long before that if you pay attention to the clues, but I think it's safe to assume that the characters did not know.

When you reach the last needle, Claus is already there and he strikes down Kumatora, Duster and Boney with his lightning sword, but Lucas' Franklin Badge protects him. The fight then starts, with only Lucas and Claus. Reviving your party is pointless, because Claus will immediately kill them again. You can try to attack...but Lucas cannot muster the will to attack his brother. All he can do is use healing/assist PSI and items and try to survive. After a few turns, you start to hear a voice. This voice appears every few turns. It speaks to Lucas at first, then Claus. After a little while, this voice is revealed to be Hinawa, the twins' mother, who died at the beginning of the game. For a long time, the fight is just survival, while Hinawa tries to reach Claus. At one point, Flint tries to protect Lucas and gets wounded by Claus. Things then suddenly go to a flashback of the twins receiving their names, a sequence over which the Mother 3 love theme plays. Afterwards, Claus seems to lose his focus. He attacks less frequently and his attacks start doing less damage. Eventually, the voice says this:

"Claus...Claus...come to where mother is. You're tired, I'm sure. Claus, come."

Claus then removes his mask, shoots lightning at Lucas purposely, and it is reflected back, fatally wounding him. He hugs Lucas, apologizes for everything, and dies in his twin brother's arms.

*END SPOILER*

I won't go on about what happens from there. But...boy, that was an emotional ending and I really can't describe it well. Like much else in Earthbound/Mother...you gotta play it. I don't consider myself an emotional individual, but as I expected, this reached me on a level only surpassed by its prequel.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Celeith » Fri Nov 14, '08, 4:11 pm

Thats real threatening if you think about it.

Japanese Guy: Look out, its Pokey! *gets squashed*

Japanese Girl: :rofl: HAH!!
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby Lemina » Fri Nov 14, '08, 6:35 pm

:gloomy: Aww--that ending sounds so sad. Poor Claus.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Nov 14, '08, 7:59 pm

Lemina wrote::gloomy: Aww--that ending sounds so sad. Poor Claus.

Yeah, it is. It's pretty easily one of the saddest video game endings I've seen. One reason is certainly because it is done so well and the other is probably the music. Games like this are the ones where the music tends to be a big factor for me and I think if the music didn't work, neither would the scene.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Schala Zeal » Sat Nov 15, '08, 4:18 am

One of the scenes that made me cry in video games is (Fire Emblem Sacred Stones spoilers)
the ending of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. Not the saddest ending, I know, but it made me cry anyway. A bit before the events of the game, a character named Lyon was possessed by the demon that was sealed in the Fire Emblem. Throughout the course of the game, you (the player) see various scenes of how the main characters Eirika and Ephraim interacted with Lyon in the past. In general, the scenes illustrated the friendship that the three shared. Of course Eirika and Ephraim want to save their friend from the demon... but in the end, they couldn't. Lyon bids one of the twins farewell (depends on which story you're playing) and dies. Peace returns to the land and the credits roll. After the credits are all done rolling, we see a picture of Lyon, Eirika, and Ephraim when they first met. We also see the dialog of Lyon introducing himself. Even though it was not that sad, it was still a sad scene for me. The music definitely made the very last scene emotional for me. I'm a crybaby, I know. Admittedly, no other scene in video games has made me cry that badly though. Maybe it was because I was particularly attached to Lyon...

Another scene that I found emotional was a scene from Tales of Destiny 2 (not to be mistaken for Tales of Destiny II; confused yet? ;D) (Note: this game is Japanese-only and I'm just kind of going off a translation guide and what little Japanese I know here. Mainly the translation guide.)
All the playable characters (Kyle, Reala, Loni, Judas, and Nanaly are their names) besides Reala are thrown into dream worlds. Reala goes to wake the characters up, starting with Kyle. Meanwhile Nanaly was thrown into a dream world where she and her little brother, Lu, live apparently happy lives. The problem with this picture is that Lu's dead. However, in the dream world Nanaly doesn't remember that her brother is dead... Until Loni makes her realize it. When Nanaly finally remembers the truth, she bids her little brother a tearful goodbye ("Bye-bye Lu...") and he fades away. She then cries.
I also found Kyle's dream world to be an emotional scene too... but I won't get into that right now.

I'm not very good with descriptions, so I apologize if this post looks like a jumbled mess. ^^'
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Celeith » Sat Nov 15, '08, 7:22 pm

Yea Tales of Destiny 2 is a great game, it was worth importing it. A bunch of the scenes in the game are emotional. I believe they made the game that way though for a reason.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby Lemina » Sun Nov 16, '08, 3:45 am

ToD2 seems kind of tragic compared to the other Tales games, especially ToS. It's interesting--It has the most cheerful main character that you can possibly imagine, yet the storyline isn't so happy-happy.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Previous

Return to Tech and Design