Escape From Alcatraz

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Escape From Alcatraz

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jun 13, '12, 9:53 am

It's now been 50 years since the famous "Escape From Alcatraz" incident and in all that time, it's never really been discovered if the inmates who escaped from the prison that night actually made it to safety or if they died trying. Some interesting information on the subject in this article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47782343/

After reading the article, do you think they made it to safety, or not??

Also, how many here have seen the "Escape From Alcatraz" movie starring Clint Eastwood??

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Escape From Alcatraz

Postby Thoul » Wed Jun 13, '12, 10:04 pm

I think they probably made it to shore and have managed to keep under the radar ever since. A few years back, the TV show Mythbusters took a look at the reported means of escape. They recreated the scenario with period appropriate supplies - the same kind of raincoats and rubber cement the convicts would have used to make their own escape raft. With that, the TV hosts (who work in the special effects industry, on movies like the Star Wars series) were able to build a working raft, set out in the water, and paddle their way to shore. So it was possible to make that trip and survive with proper planning.

Now, it's still possible that the convicts died in their escape attempt. 50 years is a long time to keep avoiding capture, which makes it hard to believe they are still out there alive somewhere. Maybe they managed to flee the country somehow, but maybe they just fell into the water and didn't make it out. But personally, I think they did get away. They might not be alive today due to factors like age or health, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Escape From Alcatraz

Postby myau56 » Thu Jun 14, '12, 12:46 pm

I've seen the movie starring Clint Eastwood (one of my favourite actor/director) and taht's great :)
About the escaping, I think that everyone can learn from previous "mistakes" so I think that the building is now totally safe.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Return to Casual Conversation