Top Ten Irritating Phrases

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Postby Srijita » Mon Nov 10, '08, 1:15 pm

[face=Times New Roman][irony]

The majority of phrases cited in the official list become annoying only when repeated 24/7. Assembling such a list was a fairly unique undertaking, but with all due respect to the Oxford researchers, their efforts might have been better directed elsewhere. At this moment in time, the world is dealing with an energy crisis, environmental degradation, and the threat of economic collapse. It's an ongoing nightmare. I personally am all in favour of supporting linguistic research, but if they're going to waste their time with "Top Ten" listings, they can't expect the rest of us to pat them on the back and say: "Absolutely." At the end of the day, a compilation of this type isn't rocket science.

[/irony]

9/10 isn't bad, right? I refuse to use the grammatically incorrect "shouldn't of", but the rest are in there.

Trenzer wrote:Point being?

Good one, Trenzer; that definitely grinds on my nerves. We've almost compiled our own list of "Top Ten Irritating Phrases", copyright the Fringes of Algo forum. :wink:
[/face]
Last edited by Srijita on Mon Nov 10, '08, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Nov 10, '08, 3:44 pm

SparkyIII wrote:We need a few REAL irritating phrases like:

Your mom

and

Thats what she said

and stuff like that

Agreed. Especially on the latter. Living on a college campus, I hear 'That's what she said' more frequently than researchers waste money on pointless projects like this one. Needless to say, the phrase/joke is beaten so far into the ground that not only is it not funny anymore (if it was to begin with...), but I expect a zombie of it to rise out of the ground on the last day and then wander around beating people to death with the verbal shovel that was used to bury it that far into the earth.

I guess it's only fair that I contribute an annoying phrase or two...

'Here it snows 16 months of the year...'

Okay, so if I wasn't living where I am now, I probably wouldn't hear that, ever. But I hear it constantly starting around October and since it snowed all last night, I'll here it today a lot. But it grates my nerves...if you don't like snow, what are you doing living in the northwestern Pennsylvania snow belt to begin with?!
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Nov 10, '08, 11:46 pm

Thus far we have this list. Not really in most annoying order but still, a list of what we contributed to.

01 - "shouldn't of" - Oxford University (On the list because thanks to Lemina)
02 - "No offense, but [insert really offensive comment here.]" - Lemina
03 - "not so much" - hugues
04 - "Your mom" - SparkyIII
05 - "Thats what she said" - SparkyIII
06 - "and stuff like that" - SparkyIII
07 - "I don’t mean to be rude, but" - Srijita
08 - "So?" - Srijita
09 - "Point Being?" - Trenzer (Me! ^_^)
10 - "Here it snows 16 months of the year..." - Caged Wolf

My comments...
01 - OMG! You shouldn't have! ... I mean of...
02 - No offense, but Jellybeans
03 - It's not so much that this comment is needed but to make you read it and waste some precious seconds of your life
04/05/06 - Your mom said the same thing. Seriously, that's what she said and stuff like that!
07 - I don't mean to be rude, but -spit- your shoe has something on it...
08 - So?
09 - ... I just... I just can't do it...
10 - Wait... there are 16 months?
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Nov 10, '08, 11:50 pm

Trenzer wrote:10 - Wait... there are 16 months?

Precisely. The phrase annoys me on two levels...first, the fact that so many people complain about snow in an area where it's inevitable from mid-fall to mid-spring. Don't like it, what are you doing living here? Second...they can't count how many months are in the year.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Nov 12, '08, 10:35 pm

Good ones, everyone!

Some of those really annoy me too.

These do also:

1. "Fair and Balanced" (yeah, right, I have yet to see anyone 100% fair and balanced about anything yet.

2. Anything with the "F" word in the phrase or sentence. I mean it is in practically every sentence or every other word that some people use. Enough already.

3. "For the good of " ..... I think this is used a lot when people don't really care for who or what it will be good for, ya know... :yaknow:

I know there's more, I just can't think of them right now. I'll put my thinking cap on. :wink:
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Nov 13, '08, 2:23 am

lol, It snows 16 months of the year....

I live in a desert and that one gets annoying. XD Some people are really quite pathetic.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Heikabuchi » Thu Nov 13, '08, 4:56 pm

I can't really agree that “At the end of the day.” is the most annoying phrase. Honestly I think that “I'd like to point out…” is a much more irritating phrase than anything I've seen on the list.

Honestly, I get more annoyed when people say “Ain't, ain't a word.”
If ain't truly wasn't a word, then we wouldn't be able to spell i or define it.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Celeith » Thu Nov 13, '08, 4:57 pm

So true Heik, so true.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Previous

Return to Casual Conversation