Top Ten Irritating Phrases

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Top Ten Irritating Phrases

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Nov 7, '08, 4:43 pm

Oxford University has come up with their list of the Top Ten Most Irritating Phrases:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... rases.html

So, what do you think of their list - agree or disagree?

And, what phrases would you add, or take away, from the list?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Celeith » Fri Nov 7, '08, 4:46 pm

that list was kind of stupid actually. I thought it was gonna be something like irritating to hear like "Hey baby, you want some fries with that shake." Now thats kinda irritating cuz its stupid, but those on that page are just stupid cuz their not irritating, just annoying when used out of context.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Lemina » Fri Nov 7, '08, 5:10 pm

1 - At the end of the day

2 - Fairly unique

3 - I personally

4 - At this moment in time

5 - With all due respect

6 - Absolutely

7 - It's a nightmare

8 - Shouldn't of

9 - 24/7

10 - It's not rocket science

I really don't hear most of those phrases all that often, although "shouldn't of" can be irritating because it's wrong grammatically.

You know which phrase I hate? "No offense, but [insert really offensive comment here.]" Seriously, if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say it.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Thoul » Fri Nov 7, '08, 5:47 pm

They think those phrases are irritating? They need to grow a thicker skin. That list seems more like a joke than a legitimate list of irritating phrases.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby hugues » Sat Nov 8, '08, 12:23 am

Where's "not so much"? I am so sick of that phrase to the point where it actually angers me now.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby SparkyIII » Sat Nov 8, '08, 7:01 am

We need a few REAL irritating phrases like:

Your mom

and

Thats what she said

and stuff like that
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Srijita » Sat Nov 8, '08, 3:46 pm

[face=Times New Roman]As already mentioned, “shouldn't of” is grammatically incorrect. But the other phrases in this list… I can’t understand why anyone would be irked by them. Surely there are worse things in life than hearing someone say “At the end of the day…”? Hey, I use at least half the phrases on the Oxford list every once in a while.

Lemina wrote: You know which phrase I hate? "No offence, but [insert really offensive comment here.]" Seriously, if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say it.

Nice one, Lemina, I’ll second that! My votes for the most irritating phrases go to:

1. “No offence, but –” [Lemina’s choice]
2. “I don’t mean to be rude, but –” [which is a variation on “No offence”]

And last but not least:

3. “So?”
[/face]
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby hugues » Sun Nov 9, '08, 1:58 pm

Lemina wrote:You know which phrase I hate? "No offense, but [insert really offensive comment here.]" Seriously, if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say it.

It reminds me of a scene from Futurama where a new pizza place opens and they go to give it a try:

LEELA: I don't mean to offend but this tastes like vomit.

PIZZA SHOP OWNER: Thank you.

LEELA: No, actually I did mean to offend a little. This is awful.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Lemina » Sun Nov 9, '08, 3:29 pm

hugues wrote:
Lemina wrote:You know which phrase I hate? "No offense, but [insert really offensive comment here.]" Seriously, if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say it.

It reminds me of a scene from Futurama where a new pizza place opens and they go to give it a try:

LEELA: I don't mean to offend but this tastes like vomit.

PIZZA SHOP OWNER: Thank you.

LEELA: No, actually I did mean to offend a little. This is awful.

XD Ain't that the truth? :D

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Nov 10, '08, 6:09 am

Srijita wrote:[face=Times New Roman]As already mentioned, “shouldn't of” is grammatically incorrect. But the other phrases in this list… I can’t understand why anyone would be irked by them. Surely there are worse things in life than hearing someone say “At the end of the day…”? Hey, I use at least half the phrases on the Oxford list every once in a while.

Lemina wrote: You know which phrase I hate? "No offence, but [insert really offensive comment here.]" Seriously, if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say it.

Nice one, Lemina, I’ll second that! My votes for the most irritating phrases go to:

1. “No offence, but –” [Lemina’s choice]
2. “I don’t mean to be rude, but –” [which is a variation on “No offence”]

And last but not least:

3. “So?”
[/face]

Point being?

I'm sorry... I had to, in spirit of the topic. "Point being" is the one I choose for an irritating phrase

In other note, Sparky, I'm guilty of using Your mom, and That's what she said. And I choose the lazy way of "and stuff like that" by merely saying... "and stuff..." >.> *flees*
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Next

Return to Casual Conversation