Powerade changes

Warning: Talking about food might make you hungry. ;)

Powerade changes

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon May 5, '14, 9:33 pm

The popular drink Powerade is making some changes to their ingredients:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pow ... oil-n96786

I wonder if and how this may affect the taste of the drink. My favorite Powerades are the red drinks.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Powerade changes

Postby S4Blade » Mon May 5, '14, 10:49 pm

I drink a lot of Powerade. It's my liquid of choice. I just checked my fridge, and that ingredient is not on any of the bottles that I have. I have the Purple, Red, and Blue flavors. It must not be in all of the flavors.
Last edited by S4Blade on Mon May 5, '14, 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby myau56 » Tue May 6, '14, 12:18 pm

Strange as it may seems...I've never drunk any Powerade Drink ! Shame on me.. but Vista : is this drink great ? t's a kind of energy drink, isn't it ?
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue May 6, '14, 3:02 pm

So here's a nice article on the ingredient they are removing in question, which is brominated vegetable oil.

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/bvo.asp

The gist of the article is that consumed in large quantities, this particular ingredient can have adverse health effects, which could require dialysis to remove large amounts of bromine your blood (and large amounts of bromine in your blood is not a good thing). The quantities in soft drinks are generally low, but for people who drink a lot of this stuff, it could lead to acute toxicity requiring medical care. The ingredient is used to suspend citrus-derived liquid, which would otherwise float at the top. So it could affect flavor, but chances are good that the soft drink manufacturers already have or will find an alternative that'll do the same thing.

The removal of the ingredient is happening because of consumer concerns over the safety of it. Chemists, toxicologists and other scientists also want to reinvestigate the chemical with new technologies and methods that were not available in the 70s, which is the last time brominated vegetable oil was seriously investigated. It seems to me the levels in the soft drinks were low enough to not be of much concern (unless you binge on soft drinks) for acute toxicity, but evidence has come to light since the 70s that even in small doses, it may accumulate over time in human tissue, the effects of which (if any) are unknown. Either way, the companies are responding to consumer concerns over the substance by phasing it out of their products. It definitely seems that some of the concerns are overblown hype, that's why Snopes rates the health claims over brominated vegetable oil as a mixture - there's hype, but that doesn't mean there's not some truth to it.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Tue May 6, '14, 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue May 6, '14, 8:33 pm

Very interesting information there Wolf Bird, thanks!!

Also, this morning I saw another article related to this and it is not just Powerade drinks that will be affected by this as it will cover a few other drink products by the Coke company as well:

http://news.yahoo.com/coke-drop-controv ... 23807.html

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby S4Blade » Tue May 6, '14, 11:34 pm

myau56 wrote:Strange as it may seems...I've never drunk any Powerade Drink ! Shame on me.. but Vista : is this drink great ? t's a kind of energy drink, isn't it ?

I really like it. I stopped drinking Gatorade when they turned it into that nasty G2 crap, so I moved to Powerade and I've never stopped drinking it since.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby myau56 » Wed May 7, '14, 9:56 pm

I've never drink Gatorade too ! ;) Wolf Bird : thak you so much for this link and the explanations ! :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Return to Delectable Delicacies