Tomatoes Pulled

Warning: Talking about food might make you hungry. ;)

Tomatoes Pulled

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jun 10, '08, 7:35 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25075424/wi ... ?GT1=31037

Watch where, and if, you get your tomatoes as many stores, restaurants, etc. have pulled them from their shelves, menus, etc., due to this salmonella illness.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Wed Jun 11, '08, 4:32 am

Now that stuff's in tomatoes, too? It makes one wonder what's going to be next.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jul 2, '08, 5:33 pm

Well, now they are saying that tomatoes may not have been the cause of all this sickness after all because tomatoes have been pulled, etc., for a while now and people are STILL getting ill.

So, now they are looking into other foods that could have been eaten along with the tomatoes to see if one of them is the cause of the sickness, etc.

And, all this time I have been craving tomatoes, but didn't eat any because of this health warning. :grumpy: :fiery: :grumpy: :fiery:

It is amazing how many people became ill because of this unknow item, though. It's been in the hundreds from what I heard.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Jul 3, '08, 1:33 am

It's stuff like this that's the reason we grow as much of our own produce as we can on our property. Including tomatoes, but granted, we can't harvest them around here until August, though sometimes we start getting them in late July if the season was really favorable for them.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Thu Jul 3, '08, 7:41 pm

Huh, didn't they test the tomatoes before saying they were the cause? If it turns out that the tomatoes were safe, I wonder if there will be lawsuits from the tomato farmers.

Yeah, growing stuff at home seems to be the only way to be sure it is safe now.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jul 7, '08, 4:07 pm

Thoul wrote:Huh, didn't they test the tomatoes before saying they were the cause? If it turns out that the tomatoes were safe, I wonder if there will be lawsuits from the tomato farmers.

Yeah, growing stuff at home seems to be the only way to be sure it is safe now.

Thoul and Caged Wolf, you guys are right about growing vegetables, etc., at home - it seems to be the only way to know you are really safe these days. Many people don't have that option however and are at the mercy of the stores, farmers markets, etc., to obtain their fruits, veggies, etc.

I don't know if they tested the tomatoes or not, but you would think they did, wouldn't you. I think they just really don't know, and think it sounds too bad to say that. Now, they are saying it might be jalapeno peppers or something like that. Bottom line - THEY STILL DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!

And Thoul, that's a good point about the lawsuits by the tomato franchises, etc., and it wouldn't surprise me a bit. So far, it looks like they may have a good case too.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jul 22, '08, 9:27 pm

Tomatoes have been cleared - they were not the cause of this illness, so the Feds say.

They have found a strain of the sickness in jalapeno peppers, so that's likely the cause.

All this time, just to find this out. ??????????

Silver_Surfer1

Return to Delectable Delicacies