Today is the day...Phantasy Star Portable 2 is released!!!

Share experiences from the entire series, including PS Online, Universe, and Zero.

Today is the day...Phantasy Star Portable 2 is released!!!

Postby xellos667 » Tue Sep 14, '10, 3:38 pm

In North America that is. After all this wait, I'm about to break down. Every second seems like hours. So anyway, soon we will all be able to play the game in a language we understand. I hope to play with some of you one day :)
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Re: Today is the day...Phantasy Star Portable 2 is released!

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 15, '10, 1:22 am

If it's released today.. why do I get a pre-order mail from Amazon today? XD

Anyways, Hurray for PSU offline plot worse than episode 2 and 3 combined and PSU action on a very small screen.

PSU is fun though but the small screen makes it horrible to play. I didn't like the first portable because of it.

Sure, if you have the later PSPs that let you HOOK it up to a TV with AV cord to play on that.. If you don't have it, so small x.x
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby xellos667 » Wed Sep 15, '10, 12:32 pm

To me having it on a portable system makes it even better, because I hate being stuck in front of my tv all the times because I don't have enough time to stay there anyway (plus the PSP 3000 screen is really big enough for a portable system). I guess it's all a matter of taste.

But anyway, I have been playing all night long yesterday, some people here know my hate about the online iterations. Well it may be the first time an online iterations of Phantasy Star will really get me addicted to death. It's really a combination of the best element from PSO, PSU, PS:P and PSZ, with a few unique element added, on a portable system, with free online play. I hate to say it (because I'm a big supporter of the classical saga), but I'm really in heaven with this game. If the online iterations would have been like that from the start, maybe I would not have hated them so much.
Last edited by xellos667 on Wed Sep 15, '10, 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby Tweeg » Wed Sep 15, '10, 2:13 pm

I was at GameStop during lunch break yesterday when they were unpacking their UPS shipment. Got my copy fresh from the shipment box. Really sad, but I was only one of two people who had it pre-ordered, and they only received two copies of the games. But they had an entire box full of copies of Halo: Reach. :/
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby xellos667 » Wed Sep 15, '10, 2:36 pm

Of course, it was a stupid move to release it the same day as Halo Reach, it's obvious the casual gamer would not care about it....but in some way, the casual gamer don't care about Phantasy Star anyway, so it's a lost cause.

I have my copy also pre-ordered from Gamestop, but when I called them yesterday, it was not there yet (I live in Quebec). I don't mind since I only want the physical copy for my collection. I'll only play with the digital download version for better loading time. Yes it's stupid to buy the game twice, but it's not the first time I'm doing this for Phantasy Star. It's my favorite series, so I'm supporting US release every way I can, so that they bring also Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby XXXG-00W0 WING-0 » Fri Sep 24, '10, 7:08 am

xellos667 wrote:Of course, it was a stupid move to release it the same day as Halo Reach, it's obvious the casual gamer would not care about it....but in some way, the casual gamer don't care about Phantasy Star anyway, so it's a lost cause.

Halo, while popular, is far from being a casual franchise. If anything, it is the complete opposite, with a rather dedicated fanbase. This coming from a non Halo fan.

xellos667 wrote:I have my copy also pre-ordered from Gamestop, but when I called them yesterday, it was not there yet (I live in Quebec). I don't mind since I only want the physical copy for my collection. I'll only play with the digital download version for better loading time. Yes it's stupid to buy the game twice, but it's not the first time I'm doing this for Phantasy Star. It's my favorite series, so I'm supporting US release every way I can, so that they bring also Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity

I got (unexpectedly) the digital download and found myself again annoyed at Sega of America's decision to ax content. There are no downloadable missions of any sort and most of the storyline isn't voiced like the Japanese version is.

Aside from playing with a select few people over the adhoc party mode of the PS3, I'm not going to bother with this English version much. The Japanese version has by now loads more content than the English version, which doesn't seem right for a game that costs the same as the Japanese version.

After this, if Infinity does come out here, I'm really out of the support for Sega this time.
Last edited by XXXG-00W0 WING-0 on Fri Sep 24, '10, 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm not an adult... I'M A MAN!!!" Major Ozma Lee--Macross Frontier

You know what not to do because Ceiling Cat is watching you...
XXXG-00W0 WING-0
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 17

Postby xellos667 » Fri Sep 24, '10, 12:34 pm

I still prefer to play in a language I understand. Plus for the DLC mission, people have found that there's a way to install the Japanese DLC on our english version without problem.
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby XXXG-00W0 WING-0 » Fri Sep 24, '10, 6:29 pm

xellos667 wrote:I still prefer to play in a language I understand. Plus for the DLC mission, people have found that there's a way to install the Japanese DLC on our english version without problem.

Playing in Japanese is really not an issue for me. After all, I had the opportunity to study the language for several years. And if there is a method to install the missions, please share the instructions. I'd like to see how it goes.

BTW. Do you have a PS3?

XXXG-00W0 WING-0
Explorer
Explorer

Postby XXXG-00W0 WING-0 » Fri Sep 24, '10, 6:42 pm

Rick wrote:If it's released today.. why do I get a pre-order mail from Amazon today? XD

Anyways, Hurray for PSU offline plot worse than episode 2 and 3 combined and PSU action on a very small screen.

Having played the Japanese version in its entirety, I can say that for me, Portable 2 is the best so far as far as plot goes. Sure, the clichés run rampant, but at least the interaction between the characters was excellent, and in some points downright brilliant in its hilarity. The weakest point in the series would be Ethan Waber's to me, even if in the second half of it the kid grows a pair and mans up. Emilia from Portable 2 is a flawed character full of insecurities (IE: teenager squirt), but precisely that bunch of flaws, which lead to a maturation is what makes her so fun, and so far the most interesting heroine of the Universe series to me.

Rick wrote:PSU is fun though but the small screen makes it horrible to play. I didn't like the first portable because of it.

Then you missed on a great game over too little. For a portable, the PSP's screen is rather huge (unless you have a PSP Go, which sucks) and the HUD is adjusted to the wide format, etc. The characters, enemies and everything else show up effortlessly and everything is visible.

Rick wrote:Sure, if you have the later PSPs that let you HOOK it up to a TV with AV cord to play on that.. If you don't have it, so small x.x

I can hook up my PSP to the TV in the living room, but it is a real pain. The cable is not long enough for me to sit at the distance I like and my eyes get sore quickly, which is the main reason I never play games on that TV. The size of the screen is actually the appropriate size to view a TV when sitting far away. If you worry about shaking the PSP so much you'll get seasick, that happened to me on the start. Over one week, I simply stopped shaking the apparatus and now play in a very comfortable manner.

Eh, different likes and dislikes, I guess.

XXXG-00W0 WING-0
Explorer
Explorer

Postby xellos667 » Fri Sep 24, '10, 6:45 pm

Well, not many of us know japanese language unfortunately.

But anyway, I didnt tried it yet, all the details are on PSO-World. Basically, you download them on the japanese site, and then drop them on your PSP in the right folder. That's it.

ANd if by your question about PS3, you're really asking if I can play an Ad-Hoc party, yes I can :)
xellos667
Android
Android

Next

Return to Phantasy Star General