Wii Remote Hacks

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Wii Remote Hacks

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Jul 27, '09, 6:26 am

Well, I found a really interesting video on YouTube that I just thought I had to share!

And the info from the description box...
http://www.ted.com Johnny Lee demos his amazing Wii Remote hacks, which transform the $40 game piece into a digital whiteboard, a touchscreen and a head-mounted 3-D viewer. A multi-ovation demo from TED2008.
Last edited by Thoul on Mon Jul 27, '09, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Slight Correction to the Youtube BBCode
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Re: Wii Remote Hacks

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jul 27, '09, 12:56 pm

This reminds me that sooner or later, I need to figure out how to use my Wiimote as a mouse since my computer has bluetooth. Not for any real purpose, but just for some fun.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Mon Jul 27, '09, 3:12 pm

That's some pretty cool stuff! I hope some games make good use of the head movement thing. Having to actually get up and walk to "look around" an object in a game could be a great mechanic for some things.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Jul 27, '09, 7:28 pm

Thanks Thoul for changing the code to the proper one. I was half asleep last night.

But I also agree with the head moving thing. In fact they already gave out an easter egg for a game they mentioned. I wouldn't mind checking that out. I need to rewatch the video though to see which game it was that mentioned it.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Tweeg » Tue Jul 28, '09, 5:02 am

:o Wow, one of the technicians at work actually brought in his laptop running that target demo two or three months ago. He never explained it like the guy in that video does though! He claimed it as a flame tracking program, go figure. Never occured to me what that was meant to be demoing. And by the way, he was using cigarette lighters as opossed to IR flashlights, fire emits high amounts of IR light.

I could see this, the headset, being used in a remake of Phantasy Star. Imagine how immersive the dungeons could be with that.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Return to Tech and Design