Other uses of systems

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Other uses of systems

Postby Thoul » Tue Aug 4, '09, 2:56 am

For the past two or three generations, most video gaming systems have included several extra features built in. The PlayStation can play CDs or DVDs, for instance. The Dreamcast could browse the internet and even had an e-mail client.

What do you think are some of the best and worst extra features to be found in any console?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Other uses of systems

Postby Celeith » Tue Aug 4, '09, 9:48 pm

Thoul wrote:For the past two or three generations, most video gaming systems have included several extra features built in. The PlayStation can play CDs or DVDs, for instance. The Dreamcast could browse the internet and even had an e-mail client.

What do you think are some of the best and worst extra features to be found in any console?

I think the best would be the add on for the super nintendo. The Super Gameboy, I found it extremely fun to play something like Ninja Gaiden or Final Fantasy Adventure on my tv screen rather then play it on the original Gameboy.

The worse feature to me would have to be the Sega Saturn all together. The system is completely run by a watch battery, and if you don't have a memory card the internal memory wipes out pretty much everytime you either turn the system off or if the battery dies or even blips like its dying.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Tweeg » Wed Aug 5, '09, 1:43 am

Best feature:
Dreamcast - Internet

Worst Feature:
Neo Geo Pocket Color - Horoscope

In all fairness to the Saturn, a good, new, CR2032 battery would last for at least a year. And there was the optional memory cartridge. The onbaord memory was really just a neat bonus feature in retrospect.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 5, '09, 4:01 am

Horoscope? Really? That is pretty bad. Hard to believe they thought that might attract users.

It sounds like the memory card wasn't all that optional for the Saturn to me. CO2032... most computers have (or at least used to have) that kind of battery in them, too. The Saturn must have really put a drain on the battery if it only lasted a year.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Wed Aug 5, '09, 9:53 pm

I think I have that battery in my Saturn, and its lasted me about 4yrs, but considering i only hook it up like once a year and maybe play it a few times the battery isnt gonna die anytime soon. I was fortunate enough to find me a cheap memory card and a good "new" controller for a reasonable price.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Return to Tech and Design