Thor to be a female in Comics

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Thor to be a female in Comics

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Jul 17, '14, 12:17 am

Whoa, is this a giant step for the comics or what?? Marvel has announced that beginning in October a new series will start with the character of Thor now being a woman:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/15/59016 ... ow-a-woman

Say what????????????????????????????????????

Say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How dare they do this to my Thor!! And, I must say that I absolutely agree with Whoopi Goldberg on this one. :yes:

You know sometimes it absolutely scares me what these people may think of next to try and sell comic books!! They seem to have no regard for a characters years and years of history, etc.
Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Thu Jul 17, '14, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Thor to be a female in Comics

Postby R-90-2 » Thu Jul 17, '14, 12:57 am

Funny you should mention the history angle, because this isn't actually the first time that Thor has been a woman. Thor was female in the Earth X series by Jim Kreuger and Alex Ross.

I also wouldn't count on it being a permanent change- they'll have one, maybe two arcs with the character and then revert to the original.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Jul 17, '14, 3:32 am

Yeah, like R-90-2 said, there has definitely been a female Thor before; I even remember a really ill-conceived story in the main series in the late 90's about such a figure, and yeah, it lasted about six issues. I actually think it's an awesome idea to try to have better representation in comic books, I love that Marvel has a series about a young Muslim superhero who happens to be a woman, but doing this with established characters isn't usually received very well by the fan base, and I think it's just generally not a good idea.

That said, it could work, the Norse myths and the Icelandic sagas definitely have a lot of strong female characters, so if it's well-written it could have a lasting impact.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Thoul » Thu Jul 17, '14, 8:02 pm

Female Thor seems to be a really popular concept at Marvel. I also remember an old What If? tale that had X-Men's Rogue becoming Thor.

But yeah, it won't last. Legacy and replacement characters like this never last more than a couple of years in Marvel books. In the past few years they've done this with Captain America and Spider-Man, but those didn't take and were reverted before too long. And apparently, just last night Marvel announced that Captain America is getting replaced yet again by one of his former partners. This time it's the Falcon, his partner from the 1970s and '80s. That won't last either, even though it is already making news headlines for replacing a major white character with an African American.

Anyway, back to female Thor: If she boosts sales enough, they'll give her a substitute hammer and shuffle off to her own book to become a minor player in the larger Marvel universe. Then when the sales drop because a) she's no longer part of the Thor community or interacting with those characters or b) the writer gets tired of her, she'll get killed off in a last heroic sacrifice. It's happened before with Thor character replacements and it can happen with this one as well.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Thu Jul 17, '14, 8:30 pm

A female Thor ? STRANGE ! :lol: But seems to be a great idea, even if I'm not a real comics fan :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jul 23, '14, 2:39 am

Kind of related to the same subject, I found this below today and thought everyone might get a kick out of it. What would you think of a female Captain America, or female Spider-man (there is a Spiderwoman already isn't there??), or a female Wolverine, or a female Hercules??

http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/a ... rcules-yes
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby S4Blade » Wed Jul 23, '14, 2:55 am

X-23 is kind of a female Wolverine already. I don't read comics or anything, I just know of her because she was in Marvel vs Capcom 3.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Thoul » Sat Jul 26, '14, 7:12 am

It's even a bit literal... she's a female clone of Wolverine.

And yes, there has been a Spider-Woman since the 1970s. There have been several, actually. I think the last count was five of them. Most of them really had nothing to do with Spider-Man at first though, they were just stealing the name.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Leapin' Library