Thinkin' 'bout Rappies

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Thinkin' 'bout Rappies

Postby Thoul » Sat Sep 20, '08, 12:54 am

Arr, mateys! Every good pirate needs a bird. Since we don't got no parrots in Algo, though, our pirate birds is going to be Rappies!

In PSO, rappies are called "native" animals. In PSIII, we know them as biomonsters created by Layans. In PSIV... they're just there. I was wondering... do you think they're also biomonsters in PSIV, or are they native animals? Native as in being part of Motavia's natural animal kingdom, not churned out from some machine Zio or Dark Force activated like the Locusta and whatnot.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Sep 20, '08, 9:53 am

That is a really good question. This makes me remember the part in PS IV when the animal lover collected rappies and they overpopulated, and ate up the crops, lol.

I think they are a native bird, but perhaps they are the product (decendant) of a biomonster.

I'm thinking it's sort of like Gryz, who is the decendant of Farmer and barbarian, "monsters" from the first Phantasy Star.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Lucas » Sat Sep 20, '08, 11:46 am

I would say that they would be a native animal. The man who loved the rappies was kinda old too so obviously they had been around for a while indicating they are wildlife. But obviously they are only found on a few islands kinda like the dodo before it became extinct :p

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Lamanai » Sat Sep 20, '08, 7:39 pm

Hmm... I never really thought about that before! Good thinking! They probably are native animals- after all, Motavia must have had some other forms of life besides... *ahem* Motavians that aren't "monsters", right?
Lamanai
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby Thoul » Sat Sep 20, '08, 7:57 pm

Right. Continuing from that line of thought, what other Motavia monsters do you think might be native instead of artificially created? We've got Rappies and the Farmer types, but what else?

I always figured that several of the things we see in PSI in Motavia's overworld are likely a native. The sandworms and the ant lions, for example. Maybe not most of the stuff in the caves (the bat men, the skeletons) or anything that shares a design with something on Palma (the mer-men). Those might be a result of Falz's power.

Sandworms at least must have been around for a while, because in PSIV people know how to make leather from their hides.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Thinkin' 'bout Rappies

Postby hugues » Sun Sep 21, '08, 1:45 am

Thoul wrote: In PSO, rappies are called "native" animals. In PSIII, we know them as biomonsters created by Layans. In PSIV... they're just there. I was wondering... do you think they're also biomonsters in PSIV, or are they native animals?

Perhaps they were native animals that were bred to be larger over time (i.e. as livestock). In the PS1 era they could have been harmless birds, but 1,000-2,000 years later we're seeing their descendants.

I've not thought about it before, but I suppose most of the monsters in PS1 are native - scorpions, ant lions, serpents, mammoths, and so on. The elephants and dragons in PS2 could even be related to the ones in PS1 instead of being biomonsters.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Celeith » Tue Sep 23, '08, 4:00 pm

I hate those bloodthirsty elephants, always jumping out trying to take my peanuts. They're more worse then a Moos jumping out and suprising a level 1 Rhys who's meeting Mieu for a picnic.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Dorrinal » Thu Oct 2, '08, 8:27 pm

Kaloes wrote:I hate those bloodthirsty elephants, always jumping out trying to take my peanuts. They're more worse then a Moos jumping out and suprising a level 1 Rhys who's meeting Mieu for a picnic.

A Moos once bit my sister...
Dorrinal
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Return to Classic Series