The Shining Force connection?

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Postby Thoul » Thu Aug 14, '08, 10:00 pm

In one of the Shining Force games for Genesis, the priest that can revive characters in towns say a blessing over the characters. I forget exactly how it goes, but they mention the Great Light. Do you think this is a reference to the same character mentioned in Phantasy Star IV, or is it just a coincidence?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Thu Aug 14, '08, 10:03 pm

Probably just a coincidence seeing as in most games when they talk about some kind of heavenly body its always referenced in some way. This game just happens to call that heavenly body the Great Light.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Srijita » Thu Aug 14, '08, 10:58 pm

[face=Times New Roman]

What an intriguing concept! Besides the Phantasy Star series, Shining Force 1 & 2 are the only fantasy video RPGs that really captured my imagination. As far I recollect, the premise of Shining Force was similar to Phantasy Star, in that Light fights Darkness and scores a temporary victory, casting the embodiment of Darkness into another dimension. However, manifestations of the Darkness return every 1,000 years, when the seal weakens. Sounds familiar, doesn’t it?

To my knowledge, the game concepts were developed by different individuals, so I guess Kaloes is probably right, and the similarities may be purely coincidental. The struggle between good and evil, or darkness and light is integral to most epics and indeed most fiction. Modern fiction frequently internalises the struggle.

But isn’t it interesting to speculate about a unifying premise? Much as the “Great Light” left Algo, and went off to nurture new solar systems, a component of the Profound Darkness may have escaped from the seal and sought pastures new. Rather than manifesting as “Dark Force”, as it does in Algo, it is epitomised in the Shining Force solar system as “Dark Dragon” and “Zeon”. They're all slaves to the same master, as it were.

There’s a certain elegance to amalgamation, isn’t there?! :wink:

[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Return to Phantasy Star IV