The Numan Duo.

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

The Numan Duo.

The Numan Duo.

View Gallery Page

The Numan Duo.

Postby Xander » Mon Aug 23, '10, 9:01 pm

Ok, so not quite your usual pairing, but what the hell, it seemed like a great idea to me. And any excuse to try my hand at drawing another character...and Rika...because she's awesome. :p

It's just a pity Nei's pose here was already in the compendium so I can't take all the credit for this drawing. :D

Anyway, not much to say, a few things didn't quite turn out how I wished no matter how many times I redid them, but this has only proven to me that I am much better drawing at a larger size, as you may have seen in my larger art pieces. Thank goodness I went and bought an A3 pad today. :D

Anyway, enjoy. :)
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Re: The Numan Duo.

Postby H-Man » Mon Aug 23, '10, 9:10 pm

The picture is nice and the colors are fine. There's something in the faces that looks a little off and Rika's * seems a bit...er...distant from the rest of her body (if you catch my drift). All in all a good drawing.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Aug 23, '10, 9:55 pm

Very nice. Colors are awesome. In drawings like this, it makes me wonder what they might be saying to each other, if anything. :)
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Aug 23, '10, 10:02 pm

I agree with H-man's criticism. However, it is otherwise quite good!
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Xander » Mon Aug 23, '10, 10:31 pm

You're right H-Man. The compendium shows her chest plate actually curves around her body, so it does look odd here. I'm just not so good with angular stuff like that, especially from an angle. :p

The heads, well while I'm quite pleased with Nei, Rika's head does look a bit odd and it bugs me that I couldn't get it right no matter how many times I redrew it. >:( As I've said, my problem is drawing smaller scale stuff. The details are harder for me to do and my movements often feel cramped and the results are pretty rough looking, yet if you look at my last Rika piece, done on a larger scale, you'll see the difference. I always feel the pencil strokes flow more smoothly too.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to set aside some time and draw something a bit larger and maybe more compendium-ish. I have a rather weird idea for some Rika art I plan to do later that needs some practice anyway so all the more reasons to go back to basics. Plus it'll help me get over the niggles I had while doing this one. :D

One thing I will say is that I'm pleased with Nei's hair. Although it's practically impossible to see in the scan here, the colouring is pretty faithful to some of her compendium images.
Last edited by Xander on Mon Aug 23, '10, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Lucas » Mon Aug 23, '10, 11:23 pm

I love it dude, by far my favourite piece of art you’ve ever done. Other than what H-Man said about Rika’s chest plate it’s all pretty much perfect. Love their hair.
It’s also quite awesome that you can see the different lengths in their ears here too. Well done. :up:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Thoul » Tue Aug 24, '10, 8:35 pm

Very nice, Xander. I love the colors - it all looks great. I can definitely understand how it is easier to get details right at larger sizes. Even so, I think you've done a great job with the details here. There are so many parts of it that I want to point out as being well done, but if I do all of them I'll be here all day. :lol:

I'm also always glad to see a piece with Nei and Rika together. There are a good number of them floating around the web, but not nearly enough. :)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Aeroprism » Thu Aug 26, '10, 8:56 pm

I don't have a problem with the *, it looks like armor and not clothes.

The faces are a bit funny like H-Boy said. Still million years ahead of what I can do. Very well done.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Xander » Thu Aug 26, '10, 8:58 pm

Well it was a one off really. No matter how many times I just always seemed to make the bottom edge straight rather than curved. But as you can see, the latest doesn't share this problem.

The thing with the armour is just perspective. Rikas chestplate curves around her body you see? This one isn't quite so, but I'm not good at drawing 1/4 view women yet. :p

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Feb 5, '22, 6:00 pm

Bumping up this excellent artwork, submitted by Xander, of Nei and Rika!
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Next

Return to Artwork