Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: The next DVD replacement
PostPosted: Sat May 2, '09, 6:02 pm 
Every few years, a new kind of information storage technology comes along. Cassettes were replaced by CDs, CDs mostly by DVDs, and now Blu-ray is making strides toward wiping out DVD. So what's next? Holograms!

In this New York Times story, General Electric is developing a holographic storage disc that can hold as much info as 100 DVDs. That's 500 gigabtyes, which is larger than most computer hard drives.

It will be a few years before the technology is ready for the mass market, but just imagine what sort of things we'll be able to get with these discs. 100 movies on a single disc. Huge video games that put the size of everything so far to shame. There are a lot of possibilities with that much space available. I just wonder which gaming console will use it first.

PostPosted: Sat May 2, '09, 6:32 pm 
Really any of the big 3 could take it at this point and greatly benefit from it. Who knows, maybe we'd see a 4th player in the gaming industry?

PostPosted: Tue May 5, '09, 10:01 pm 
Wow, imagine a 500 GB game! Somehow I'd imagine Microsoft or Sony being the first ones to utilize this technology, but of course that's just a hunch.

PostPosted: Tue May 5, '09, 11:51 pm 
I think they won't put 20 films on a single disc. Instead we'll finally get an uncompressed format with, maybe, a higher resolution (which would imply a new TV format - not UHDV because with its 7680×4320 it takes just 20 minute -uncompressed- broadcast to reach 28Tb of storage.).

It happened the same with bluray. They never added more movies like we thought; they simply "enhanced" them.

Anyway, the "Holographic Versatile Disc" (which I don't know if it's the same as General Electric's "holographic storage disc") should reach the 3.9 TBs (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc )

PostPosted: Wed May 6, '09, 5:41 am 
Yeah, you're probably right. They could fit a lot of movies on a disc like this in DVD quality, but they'll just try to sell a single movie in a higher quality picture. Eventually they're going to run out of higher levels of quality to reach. I wonder what will happen then?

PostPosted: Wed May 6, '09, 1:49 pm 
That's when they'll utilize George Lucas's idea of beaming the movie straight into your brain :D

PostPosted: Wed May 6, '09, 3:50 pm 
Darkil wrote:That's when they'll utilize George Lucas's idea of beaming the movie straight into your brain :D

Just as long as I can beam the movie into my brain with rifftrax...it will be awesome.

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]