The Most Underrated Character

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

The Most Underrated Character

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 31, '07, 7:57 pm

Who do you think would qualify for the title of Most Underrated Character in the classic series? There are many who don't get much screen time, like Nero, Juza, or Saya. Who stands out to you as an excellent character that is most often overlooked?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Heikabuchi » Wed Oct 31, '07, 8:04 pm

Truely, I'd say either Hahn or Gryz. Gryz is a powerhouse! Give him a Defeat-Axe and he's a monster against Profound darkness.
As for Hahn, he knows Astral, Vol, Savol, Vision... These are all very useful techniques. He can be used to perform Halocaust and Paladin Blow, two devistating moves!
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Tsunami » Wed Oct 31, '07, 8:46 pm

Lune. He has his motives and goals, but we never learn much about them. Overall, much about him is shrouded in mystery. :starry-eyed:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Heikabuchi » Wed Oct 31, '07, 8:51 pm

HAHA! Well said!
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Heikabuchi » Sat Nov 3, '07, 7:54 am

I'm going to change my answer to Grandfather Dorin. Gryz said that he uses Magic, which is not only somthing that's unheard of in Algo, but it's also somthing extremely rare in Motavians since they hardly use any techniuqe. Dorin also knew Rune, meaning that he must have played a large role in history at some point. What I find odd is that he isn't mentioned anywehre else in the game. He must have been pretty powerful to have Runes respect.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 3, '07, 5:31 pm

I always thought Gryz's comment about magic was a reference to Rune. Rune probably knew Dorin from the time he spent with Alys before... maybe they had some adventure with Dorin going along with the group.

My vote for most underrated NPC does go to Dorin though. I'm not sure exactly what kinds of knowledge and skills he possesses. His story would be a great one to explore in more depth, though. The making of Alshline, the secret technology recovered from lost Palman buildings... there's no limit to the possibilities there!

For a player character, I go with Lyle. He has a whole set of abilities that weren't tapped in PSIII, thanks to the dragon transformation. If he had been able to use that in combat, Rhys and Ayn's generations could have been a breeze. Especially if Thea had inherited a similar power.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Sat Nov 3, '07, 7:35 pm

Thoul wrote:For a player character, I go with Lyle. He has a whole set of abilities that weren't tapped in PSIII, thanks to the dragon transformation. If he had been able to use that in combat, Rhys and Ayn's generations could have been a breeze. Especially if Thea had inherited a similar power.
Thea may have inherited it, but perhaps Lyle kept the truth from her so she never knew. Or maybe Thea did know, but it could possibly be a family secret or something along those lines.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Sun Nov 4, '07, 1:17 am

There are some good answers here, but I say Kain is underrated. A lot of people make fun of him because of the way he talks, but put him in a fight with robot enemies and it won't last too long.

I think that the most underrated bad guy is actually Dark Force in the first two games. In those, he's just like an after thought. The real mission is to stop Lashiec and Mother Brain. Dark Force is just there for fight. It wasn't until Phantasy Star III that Dark Force really became a major force of the game.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Re: The Most Underrated Character

Postby H-Man » Sat Sep 25, '10, 1:59 pm

As a player character, I'd have to go with Demi. There's the natural appeal of a cute green-haired android who uses guns of varying sorts in combat, but she doesn't seem to get developed as much as Wren, whose other incarnation was a major character in PSIII. I would've liked to have seen her get more time and development.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Re: The Most Underrated Character

Postby Tanith » Sat Sep 25, '10, 2:25 pm

Tyler! He has a spaceship, for crying out loud! I would have loved for him to be a playable character, or at least have him aid the team in escaping from Noah and blowing it to kingdom come. There's something in one of the Japanese Phantasy Star publications about Tyler potentially being a descendant of Odin, too. That would have been an excellent development.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Next

Return to Classic Series