The most powerful wizard?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

The most powerful wizard?

Postby Rune_Walsh » Thu Sep 4, '08, 8:39 pm

In the entire series, who do you think was the most powerful wizard?

Lutz/Noah

Rune

Zio

Tajim

Opinions, s'il vous plait. ;)
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby newsblade » Thu Sep 4, '08, 9:22 pm

Tajim lost against Lutz; Rune has a lot of Lutzes' experience inside him + extra power that no other Lutz had; Zio is just a puppet because if DF abandons him, he is nothing. So my bet goes to Rune.
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Srijita » Thu Sep 4, '08, 10:04 pm

[face=Times New Roman]I second that :wink:

1. As newsblade points out, Lutz defeats his teacher Tajim in combat, albeit with help from the rest of the party. Tajim then sends him on his way, remarking that there is no more he can teach Lutz. For argument's sake, however, let's assume that Tajim was "testing" Lutz rather than challenging him to a real fight. Even so, during the course of the game, Lutz gains genuine combat experience and learns new skills, until his strength presumably exceeds that of his mentor.

2. Rune ultimately defeats Zio in combat, albeit with help from the rest of the party. As newsblade indicates, however, Zio also has assistance -- from Dark Force, no less. Furthermore, at the level Rune attains towards the end of PS4, he is capable of defeating Zio single-handed.

So it’s between Rune and Lutz. Rune has the upper hand because:

1. As highlighted above, he has the benefit of the collective wisdom of four generations of “Lutz”, acquired from the telepathy ball;
2. Lutz’s repertoire in PS1 is limited to Cure, Exit (HINAS), Fire (GIFOI), Open, Protect (?DEBAN/ WARLA), Rise (REVER), Telepathy, Thunder (? TANDLE), and Wind (HEWN/ GIZAN). He also performs fully restorative healing for Rolf and party in PS2.

Rune learns the mighty LEGEON and EFESS, DIEM & NEGATIS (single & multiple instant death spells), TANDLE, FLAELI, HEWN, NaWat, NaFoi, NaGra, SEALS, AROWS, REVER, HINAS, and RYUKA. He lacks player-accessible healing techniques, but shows himself to be capable of restoring HP, TP, and skills when he heals Chaz at the Inner Sanctuary. Furthermore, he can use the Guard Rod for SAR (although it is seldom necessary to do so).

3. Lutz and company defeat Lassic and Dark Force in PS1. Rune and company defeat Dark Force not once but three times, dispatch a resurrected Lassic, pass the Rykros tower guardians (who aren’t exactly pushovers) and ultimately obliterate the Profound Darkness.

QED

But you knew I was going to say that, didn't you? :wink:
[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Thoul » Thu Sep 4, '08, 11:06 pm

Yeah, gotta go with Rune on this one.

Tajim might have been more powerful than Lutz at some point, but we don't really get a good frame of reference for what he can do at full power.

Zio might be a capable wizard in his own right. His reliance on Dark Force for higher levels of power lowers his standing, however, and suggests he's not super strong on his own.

2. Lutz’s repertoire in PS1 is limited to Cure, Exit (HINAS), Fire (GIFOI), Open, Protect (?DEBAN/ WARLA), Rise (REVER), Telepathy, Thunder (? TANDLE), and Wind (HEWN/ GIZAN).

Fire is Flaeli, Thunder is Tandle, and Wind is Hewn. The spells and skills actually had the same names in the Japan versions of the games, I believe.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Srijita » Thu Sep 4, '08, 11:16 pm

[face=Times New Roman]
Thoul wrote:Fire is Flaeli, Thunder is Tandle, and Wind is Hewn. The spells and skills actually had the same names in the Japan versions of the games, I believe.

Ah, that's interesting.

I'd be curious to know the English equivalents for Rune's other skills (LEGEON, EFESS, NEGATIS, etc). For one thing, it would make them much easier to describe in fanfiction if I knew what they actually entailed. :)

Any ideas, anyone?

[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Celeith » Thu Sep 4, '08, 11:39 pm

I'd say it like this if your looking for typical names for skills.

Legeon - Holy Light
Efess - Judgment
Negatis - Soul Reaper

but those are just random names so I'm just being random here today
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Thu Sep 4, '08, 11:48 pm

I think the names for those three are just made up for PSIV. This is how the manual describes each one:
Efess calls on creatures from inner planes to attack.
Legeon generates a great burst of energy that damages all enemies within range.
Negatis strangles enemies inside a pocket of vacuum.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Srijita » Fri Sep 5, '08, 4:35 pm

[face=Times New Roman]Thanks very much, Kaloes and Thoul, for your help in interpreting those skills. It is much appreciated. I shall be able to describe them in glorious detail now. :) [/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Dorrinal » Fri Sep 5, '08, 11:39 pm

SARI
Dorrinal
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby Lucas » Sat Sep 6, '08, 1:06 pm

I'd say Tajim definitly
Lutz would follow closely behind though

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Next

Return to Classic Series