The Manga Thread

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Re: The Manga Thread

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Jun 10, '10, 3:08 am

Well for the most part, I just read fan scanlations. the place I read all those are on onemanga. If I ever do see those though, I'd be way more than happy to buy them.

Also huzzah for Highschool Of The Dead! An anime is coming in the summer! ^_^ YAY!
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby OhNoHumans » Thu Jun 17, '10, 3:22 am

I also prefer manga Tanith. I don't own many; there's most of Rurouni Kenshin, a start of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, and recently found one of Tatsumi's books.

I've already read all of the completed parts comprising JoJo, and I'd say it's my favourite series (it's where my first avatar was from). It's just been so long since I read Part 3 Stardust Crusaders that I figure why not. XD

Riki-Oh, where my current avatar is from, might be my second. It's pretty much a 'clean' Hokuto no Ken, and yes, directly inspired that notorious HK movie, Story of Ricky. :dog_laugh:

Well anyway, I am into the "Big 3" (except for One Piece), but I will probably wait now until they're finished.

Last series I read was Pretty Face. It was kinda interesting, but maybe because I read it rather quickly I don't remember it that well, IDK (I also didn't care for a lot of the goofiness). But I think I like it better than Mx0.

Currently I'm reading Death Note (I've only seen the dub of the anime so far). I'm just glad my area's library system has most of the volumes (and probably the one series they've got I'm interested in).
Last edited by OhNoHumans on Fri Jun 18, '10, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...Please don't look at me that way. It's not nice."
OhNoHumans
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 9

Postby Tanith » Fri Jun 18, '10, 2:52 am

I went ahead and bought the first two volumes of Trinity Blood. Yes, I know I'm late to start the series. Oh well. So far it's funny with some sexual tension right off the bat, and the story and action are off to a good start already. There is a LOT of hair in this manga. I keep getting lost trying to figure out where all the hair goes, so that gets in the way a bit while reading. There aren't many frames, so that complicates reading it as well. But, gotta say, it's entertaining so far. I wonder if the novels are any good? I'll have to check them out, too.

It's labeled Shojo, but it's really somewhere between Shonen and Shojo. There's plenty of action, not just pretty boy vampires. ;) Tokyopop doesn't bother translating the kanji sound effects, but it's not hard to figure out that something's a "bang" or a"shhhhhk" or whatever.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby OhNoHumans » Fri Jun 18, '10, 2:18 pm

Wait a minute... That started as a manga?! I only know about the (poorly-received) anime. I even watched a few episodes when it was on TV.
OhNoHumans
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Postby Tanith » Fri Jun 18, '10, 11:21 pm

Actually, I think it started as novels. I'm going to have to find them, because I'm on the second volume now and I'm finding the story rather choppy, which is a shame, because it's really compelling. The characters are great; I just have a hard time following along. It's one of those mangas where you get to a certain bit of action and you go, "Wait a sec... *flips back several pages* how'd we get here?" It feels rushed. But, I'm only on vol. 2, so maybe it'll get better.

Edtied: OK, so I just watched a little bit of the Trinity Blood anime. Bleh, the art takes a huge dive from the manga. I'm wondering if they subdued Abel's looks to make him more appealing to a male audience. Though, even Sforza is less attractive. Hmm.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby OhNoHumans » Sun Jun 20, '10, 2:44 am

He still looks pretty bishounen-ish (sorry) IIRC. I liked him, so I feel a bit sorry for him that he's been likened to Vash from Trigun, or whoever it was.

It's kind of funny how the anime gets that hate, but look at another series, S-cry-ed: It's the manga everybody hates! Though I don't really remember why it was said.
OhNoHumans
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Postby Tanith » Sun Jun 20, '10, 4:50 am

OhNoHumans wrote:He still looks pretty bishounen-ish (sorry) IIRC. I liked him, so I feel a bit sorry for him that he's been likened to Vash from Trigun, or whoever it was.
Oh, because he's a guy with glasses, a long coat, and is otherwise a "lovable goth" (I made that up, I think, but it's the only way I can think of to describe this kind of character)? I can see that, but I agree with you. I really like Abel, too, and he has enough of his own personality that he doesn't feel ripped off to me. Let's face it, how many futuristic, post-Armageddon, gothy, gunslinger animes are there? For whatever reason, there are a lot, so characters will probably seem similar. I like them, though. Taking outlaws, pirates and vampires and throwing them into sci-fi is FUN! :D

Edited: Dang. I'm all nostalgic for "Outlaw Star" now. I'll have to find some episodes online.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Jun 30, '10, 6:26 pm

I recently found an interesting manga. I'm only ten chapters in but I can't seem to stop reading. =D

It's called Bloody Monday.
A virus deal clinched in Russia on the Christmas eve. Purpose: unknown. Two clues: a mysterious lady "Maya", one of the gangsters, and "Bloody Monday", the keyword for the project.

Then an incident happened in far-distant city of Tokyo. Fujimaru Takagi, a second grade student at Mishiro Gakuin high school, is commissioned to find out the truth by Public Security Investigation Bureau for his great ability as a super hacker.

Mind you, it is aimed for a more mature audience.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Previous

Return to Leapin' Library