The Lost Esper • Phantasy Star: Fringes of Algo

The Lost Esper

Fan written stories based on Phantasy Star IV.

Re: The Lost Esper

Postby Darkil » Sat May 2, '09, 3:04 am

Chapter 5 : Old friends and strange behavior

"Rune! Gods it's been ages! I was wondering how you've been." Hahn replied. It had been over 15 years since he last saw Rune, Chaz and Alys. It was a wonder why Rune was down here in a cave but that didn't matter now. Hahn was just glad to be safe and see a friend all in the same turn. He waited a moment for the Esper to reply but was only met by Rune completely ignoring him. Granted Rune was completely enthralled by this statue of the one he called Lucas. No doubt this was someone from history and while Hahn was fascinated, he was anxious to get what he needed and get out of this cave. Strange that there would be some androids down here and no less attacking him but he figured that Rune knew what was going on so he'd inquire about it later. Hahn waited another moment noticing that Rune did not move for a good 10 minutes. Hahn moved a bit closer and began tapping Rune on the shoulder. Not getting any response he nudged Rune a bit harder. After that Rune turned around and glared at him, nearly snarling in contempt. In a voice he never heard from something human, Rune responded :

"What......do you WANT?!?"

Backing away slowly with his hands raised Hahn felt more frightened than he did when the androids attacked.

"Sorry Rune, just seeing if you're alright....."

Rune began to breath slow and deliberate like he was barely containing his anger. It almost seemed that some sort of magic was swirling about in his eyes because they started to glow a deep purple. Runes hands clenched and unclenched as if he were contemplating Hahn's demise. A few moments later Hahn found his back against the wall and sweat started to run down the small of his back. He could feel his face blanch as Rune started walking closer, his friends staff now in a position ready to strike. Hahn tried to move away but was blocked as Rune was instantly upon him. Hahn instinctively ducked and held his arms above his head, waiting for the impending attack. A few seconds went by, then minutes as it never came. Hahn slowly opened his eyes and peered through his arms to see Rune just standing there, holding his head.

"Rune? You ok?"

Rune shook his head a couple of times then collapsed to the ground. Hahn quickly rushed to his side and saw that Rune was sweating profusely and twitching slightly. Puzzled, he did a quick analysis of Rune to see if there was any obvious injuries. Not finding any, Hahn pulled out his emergency travel kit, taking out a needle and syringe and attempted to draw blood from Rune. His wrist was quickly grabbed by his patient and held it in place firmly. Hahn couldn't help but smile as it wasn't unusual for someone to hate needles but he had to find out what was ailing his friend.

"Come on Rune, this won't hurt much."

Rune shook his head "No, I don't need any diagnosis. Just a little fatigued from the walk that's all. I'll be alright." Rune seemed to focus on Hahn for a moment then a baffled look crossed his face.

"Hahn? What're you doing here?"

Hahn titled his head to the side slightly. What an odd question, they were just talking a moment ago. Not wanting to alarm his patient he decided to play along as he put the needle back in his kit.

"Well I came down here looking for some more Alshline and I got lost. I saw you down here and as soon as I came here you fell to the ground."

Rune blinked for a moment, seeming to clear cobwebs from his head. Sitting himself up slightly to prop on his elbows Rune began to look around the cave.

"I seem to remember some sounds of fighting and some bandits...or was it androids?"

Hahn sat there listening to his friend talk as if he lost the last 30 minutes of his memories. Worried, Hahn helped Rune to his feet. He quickly had to help steady the Esper as the two almost fell to the ground again.

"Come on Rune, we need to get you back to the Academy where you can get some rest" Not getting any complaints, the two began to move slowly down the path Hahn came from. Something was really bothering Hahn though, what was that sudden burst of hatred coming from Rune and why did he give way to exhaustion when moments ago he was full of energy. Hahn couldn't help but chuckle to himself, knowing that he was right when he first met Chaz, Alys and Rune so many years ago and realizing then that his life would never be the same again.
Darkil
Reviews

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star IV