Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, '10, 8:20 pm 
Today, while researching gaming books, I came across a picture of Phantasy Star II appearing in one place I would have never expected to see it: the Nintendo offices circa 1989. :o

In a translation of a children's book about the creation of Super Mario Bros. 3, there are some pictures of the developers at work. If you scroll down to the fifth set of pictures on that page, you can see Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka, two of the guys who worked on a lot of Nintendo's big titles like Mario and Zelda, hard at work on designing a level. Tucked away in the corner of Tezuka's desk, above Miyamoto's back, there are a few Mega Drive games! The picture is blurry, so it's a little hard to make them out, but based on the colors, one of those games is Phantasy Star II.

So, there you go. When PSII came out, even some of the most important guys at Nintendo were playing it in the office.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, '10, 8:27 pm 
Just shows, even by today's standards, PS2 is still an all-time classic, and has probably inspired many of the later JRPGs, not least of FF7. I just wish it would recieve more love. It's normally overshadowed by PS IV ( which by my current views as of now ) is pretty mediocre. I fell in love with PS2 a few weeks ago, and have been playing it for several hours already.

I wonder if those big-shots were ever inspired from PS2? For their later games?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, '10, 8:30 pm 
ahah great find!!! Yes it's blurry, but it's funny to have top-head of Nintendo having such a Genesis collection, considering it was an era where Nintendo tried to get the monopoly on everything with exclusivity contract from other publishers. Where they doing some spying on their rival games, or where they realizing that Sega were making really great games and they wanted to go beyond that? Or maybe they just liked them for fun? Who knows

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, '10, 10:52 pm 
Heh, cool!

But hey...back in the day, Nintendo wasn't into the RPG genre very much. The only RPG for Nintendo at the time (I think?) was the first Mother game. At least it was released in '89 in Japan, but I don't know when that year or these pictures were taken.

Regardless, if you were working for Nintendo at that time and you wanted an RPG, you pretty much had to play something that wasn't a Nintendo game. Still cool!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, '10, 11:20 pm 
What a terrifc find, Thoul. Very observant you are! :) :clap:

Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Tue Jul 20, '10, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, '10, 11:24 pm 
Indeed. I'd never know it was there unless you pointed it out. It's very hard to see. Just goes to show, doesn't it? :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, '10, 3:28 pm 
Just recently I was looking through an old issue of Nintendo Power I own. I was thinking of selling it because I have two copies, but guess what I saw in the magazine? The very same picture that started this topic. :lol:

The photo is a lot smaller in Nintendo Power, so PSII is even more difficult to see. It's part of a short, one page article about Mr. Miyamoto. I never would have noticed it if not for learning about the Japanese book. For any one interested, the very first issue of Nintendo Power to have a Phantasy Star presence in any form was #10, from January/February 1990.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, '10, 4:24 pm 
Can you show us the famous picture? ^^

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, '10, 4:28 pm 
This article is awesome. Really makes me wish I was born ten years earlier.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, '10, 1:34 am 
Gryz wrote:Can you show us the famous picture? ^^

I'll probably scan the Nintendo Power version at some point, but it is pretty small. You can see a larger version from the link in the first post. It's the fifth picture down on the page.

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]