Brazil

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Brazil

Postby MrKite » Fri Jan 16, '15, 1:29 am

Been very hooked on this movie since I rented it on New Year's Eve and later purchased on Amazon Instant Video. It's strange, it's dark, it's twisted, it's confusing, it's filled with dark humor......it's one of the greatest movies ever made. The film is set in a dystopian future as if it would have looked had it been imagined in the 1940's and satires technology, the government and many other things. If you haven't seen it, you MUST at least rent it. Whether it be iTunes, Amazon Instant Video, whatever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wh2b1eZFUM

My favorite thing about the film was the score by Michael Kamen (one of his best works). And after watching the film I think I can relate to Sam Lowry a little too much personality wise.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Re: Brazil

Postby Zio_Falz » Fri Jan 16, '15, 11:42 pm

I am a fan of Terry Gilliam, and a fan of Robert DeNiro, and Michael Kamen. I've read a synopsis of this film a while back, and this film has been on my things to watch list for quite some time now.

However, my list of films that I must watch is ever-growing, and while I try to make time to watch things, I also try to avoid that horrible feeling of sitting down and investing 2 or 3 hours and watching a film, and it not only be let down by the film, but be let down by the amount of time that I have lost as well.

Seeing a good review, the certainly move this film up on my lists that I want to watch. I also have a penchant for the strange and absurd it which is what brought my attention to this film in the first place. Of course I have read a synopsis of the film, but one without spoilers, because I did not want to ruin it. But if there is a film or story out there that you could compare to this film of Brazil, what would it be? Often I know you can read a synopsis of a film and think you have an idea of what it might be about, but actually I might have a wrong idea of it altogether.

Somebody once told me that this film is comparable to Naked Lunch, the film, but I think that they may have meant only in style that it is comparable, because otherwise it would be a long shot of a comparison.

But thank you for bringing this film up, it certainly does influence my interest of watching this film more.. And thanks in advance if you do have a non-spoiling comparison to another film or story that this might be similar to.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Re: Brazil

Postby MrKite » Sat Jan 17, '15, 12:33 am

Well, I'm not sure what I'd compare it to, but it was largely inspired by George Orwell's 1984.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Return to Feature Films