The Glories of Google

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

The Glories of Google

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Feb 20, '10, 11:45 pm

I'm a huge fan of Google; the search engine, Google Scholar, Reader, Picasa et al, but I'm especially a fan of Google Voice.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I get a lot of spam calls on my cell phone from scammers looking for someone that's not me. I even changed my number, which turned out to be a recycled number, and the calls were even worse!

The solution, though: A friend of mine sent me an invitation to join, and Google Voice has given me a lot of control to block these callers. It's so awesome.

Anyone else a fan?
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Re: The Glories of Google

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Feb 26, '10, 7:34 pm

Well, I use Google the search engine a great deal more than any of the others, I think. I haven't tried some of the other Google fields you mentioned, though. Google seems to always be tops in their field and always trying new things.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Fri Feb 26, '10, 7:56 pm

I mainly use Google just for searching and email. Some of their website tools come in handy too, but that's sort of a subset of searching. I never messed with the other stuff much. I wouldn't mind trying the internet service if it works well, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Sun Feb 28, '10, 12:52 pm

Rune_Walsh wrote:The solution, though: A friend of mine sent me an invitation to join, and Google Voice has given me a lot of control to block these callers. It's so awesome.

I'm going to have to try that; thanks for the suggestion!

I use Google for searching (duh) mostly, but recently I've gotten into Google Docs. I've been using Google Docs to organize lists of names from opera, literature, etc. that I've been collecting. I'm a bit of a onomastics freak. /dork
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Mar 6, '10, 5:38 am

Tanith wrote:
I use Google for searching (duh) mostly, but recently I've gotten into Google Docs. I've been using Google Docs to organize lists of names from opera, literature, etc. that I've been collecting. I'm a bit of a onomastics freak. /dork

Opera and literature in GOOGLE docs?

OMG. I adore you already!
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Tweeg » Sat Mar 6, '10, 2:19 pm

I just use Gmail, and I rarely use that anymore because Google broke it pretty badly when they last updated it about a year or so ago. Use not to get time-out and error out codes in Gmail, but those seem to be all to common now. Shame really because I love how it automatically saves a draft of the message your typing up.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed May 5, '10, 11:28 pm

GoogleBuzz is the new social network, and is better than Facebook and Twitter, in my opinion.

Anyone else use GoogleBuzz? I know CW does (she is on my friends list, heh).
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Darkil » Sun May 16, '10, 2:57 pm

Thanks to R_W I now use Google Buzz as well. It doesn't seem as graphic intensive as Facebook but it works exactly the way it should. Thanks R_W !
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Tue May 18, '10, 12:34 am

Working with PS Deluxe recently has made me realize that Google is now my first stop for translating stuff. I always used Altavista's Babelfish back in the day, but Google really outshines it now.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rune_Walsh » Tue May 18, '10, 1:11 am

Darkil wrote:Thanks to R_W I now use Google Buzz as well. It doesn't seem as graphic intensive as Facebook but it works exactly the way it should. Thanks R_W !

My pleasure, Dark. It's great to have another Fringer join me in the fun that is Buzz. ;)

Thoul wrote:Working with PS Deluxe recently has made me realize that Google is now my first stop for translating stuff. I always used Altavista's Babelfish back in the day, but Google really outshines it now.

That's pretty neat. It seems Google is outshining in numerous aspects these days.

Did you know that The Fringes of Algo is number four when you do a google search for "Phantasy Star fan site"? I think it was Atlin who first mentioned this in the shoutbox. :D
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Next

Return to Tech and Design