New 3D King of Fighters in the Works

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

New 3D King of Fighters in the Works

Postby Flames of Yagami » Wed Aug 6, '14, 12:47 am

It looks like SNK is working on a new King of Fighters game. For the first time since the Maximum Impact spinoffs, it will have 3D graphics, but we don't know whether the actual gameplay will be 2D or 3D.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/05/ne ... velopment/

As a fan of the series, even though I'm excited for this, it's sad to see SNK abandoning sprites, especially after how great they looked in XII and XIII. I understand why they're doing this, though; SNK doesn't exactly have a lot of money, and 3D graphics are easier (and cheaper) to make than sprites. Oh well, I'm sure the transition will work out well in the end!
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Wed Aug 6, '14, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Re: New 3D King of Fighters in the Works

Postby S4Blade » Wed Aug 6, '14, 3:57 am

Yeah I saw that they finally announced it. The usual fighting game websites I go to have been dropping hints for a while now. I am somewhat surprised that they are making it a 3D fighter, esecially after how well received KOF XIII was.

Here's to hoping that they use 3D models and still keep the fighting 2D, kind of like how Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- is going to be.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: New 3D King of Fighters in the Works

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Aug 6, '14, 4:18 am

Flames of Yagami wrote:As a fan of the series, even though I'm excited for this, it's sad to see SNK abandoning sprites, especially after how great they looked in XII and XIII. I understand why they're doing this, though; SNK doesn't exactly have a lot of money, and 3D graphics are easier (and cheaper) to make than sprites. Oh well, I'm sure the transition will work out well in the end!

Man, I'm totally with you on this. I miss the beautiful sprite work that used to be in games. I think 3D works just as well in its own way for a lot of games, but sometimes you just need that hand-drawn feel. I was especially disappointed that Marvel vs. Capcom 3 went 3D. With Street Fighter it kind of made sense, I think they were trying to distinguish the new games from the old, but for a franchise based on comic books I think it was kind of a letdown. I haven't actually played the King of Fighters series yet, myself, but I hope the franchise is doing well.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Return to General Gaming