The Balloon Event

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

The Balloon Event

Postby Thoul » Fri Oct 16, '09, 1:58 pm

If you tuned into the news yesterday or this morning, you probably heard about the event yesterday involving the run away silver balloon. It was flying all over the place for about two hours while being chased by a National Guard helicopter, police, ambulances, and other rescue teams. They were after it because the guy who launched it reported that one of his three sons claimed another son climbed into the balloon right before it lifted off.

When the balloon finally came down, there was no one in it. A few hours later, the kid appeared out of the family's attic. Later in a TV interview, when asked why he did this, the kid said something about "doing it for a show." Then it came out that the family has been on the reality show "Wife Swap." Twice when asked about "doing it for a show" during later interviews, the kid has conveniently gotten sick and left the interview. All of this is making people question: was there really a belief that the kid was in the balloon or was it all a hoax to get on TV?

So, what do you think about all of this? Is it more likely to be just a kid's prank or a family conspiracy to get their own TV show?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: The Balloon Event

Postby Lucas » Fri Oct 16, '09, 2:19 pm

Yeah when I got to work this morning at 6.30am. My uncle who I work with sometimes threw the newspaper at me and said read it. After I read it I was kinda confused and tired so it didn't sink in for a while :lol: . I looked up and he was sitting there with a grin on his face. He reckons it wasn't true and their was no kid in the balloon and story sounded exceptionally funny. As for my opinion I don't know because there are some crazy people out there that would do stuff to that extent.

Also when I got home and was helping cook dinner the TV was on and this was on the news. When the balloon had landed a man was going around with a shovel popping holes in the side of it. The news reporter commented by saying hopefully the child wasn't inside the balloon while the other guy was hitting it with a shovel. Over all I think this whole conspiracy is weird. That’s all I can say to sum at the moment. I’m not to sure what to believe. :blank:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Darkil » Fri Oct 16, '09, 3:06 pm

When I first read the story, hours after the balloon landed, I was frightened for the child. Of course after finding out he wasn't in the balloon I was relieved. Funny enough someone and they're friends on Facebook created a song about this whole event and did it in the style of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air's theme. Very hilarious.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Oct 18, '09, 2:18 am

I saw the story when it was happening and was so afraid for the little boy. Then we found out he wasn't even in the balloon. Sounds like a story with a happy ending, except the story hasn't ended there...it's still going strong.

Really, I don't know if it was a hoax or what. If it was, the family is getting just what they wanted...lots of tv time and names in the news, and probably lots of offers for anything from tv to who knows what.

I read the family had been on the show "Wife Swap" once or maybe even twice. I don't remember seeing them but it could have been a show I missed. I saw a clip of one of the shows on the news last night and the dad was so angry that he threw his drink on the "wife" that was swapping with their family at the time. I thought that was very rude.

I hope it all blows over (no pun intended, lol) pretty soon as I've heard enough of it by now. The kid is safe so it's over as far as I'm concerned.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby ThugsRook » Sun Oct 18, '09, 2:35 am

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:I read the family had been on the show "Wife Swap" once or maybe even twice. I don't remember seeing them but it could have been a show I missed. I saw a clip of one of the shows on the news last night and the dad was so angry that he threw his drink on the "wife" that was swapping with their family at the time. I thought that was very rude.

you actually believe reality shows are real?
ThugsRook
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 15

Postby Thoul » Sun Oct 18, '09, 7:47 pm

Well, it seems that the local police now believe it was a hoax. They searched the house and seized a computer. The sheriff said the parents could be charged with "conspiracy, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, making a false report to authorities and attempting to influence a public servant." It could land them up to six years of jail time.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Oct 18, '09, 11:25 pm

ThugsRook wrote:you actually believe reality shows are real?

Whether I believe reality shows are real, or not, was not the point in question or the point that I was trying to make in my post above. The point I was trying to make was that the action the guy did was rude and insulting, whether real, or make believe, or whatever! You can tell a lot about some people from their actions.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Casual Conversation