Thank God they're dead!

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Re: Thank God they're dead!

Postby Celeith » Tue Jul 14, '09, 7:21 pm

Erpy wrote:Keep in mind that since FF7 brought the RPG genre into the mainstream, this scene was the first time for many people a major character was taken away. No doubt for those people, the scene triggered a similar response as the death of Nei in PS2 or Alys in PS4 for people here.

I know this is old but I thought I'd bring it up. Aerith's death wasn't the first real death in the series but it is the one most people remember only due to the hype that Final Fantasy 7 gets. All in all since FF2 was released there have been deaths in all the games leading up to 7, Minwu, Joseph, Ricard from II *If i forget anyone I can't remember atm*, Tellah from IV, Galuf in V, and Leo in VI. Now in these previous games, especially IV since Tellah is a main character and is with you a good bit before and after Cecil becomes a Paladin, the majority of Final Fantasy gamers decide that any game prior to VII the deaths of the main characters don't matter. Ok enough about FF..

Nei's death in the original PSII didn't hit me as much due to it being such a short scene. When it was redone in Generations the scene hit me more because the characters are a bit more fleshed out, well at least with Eusis and Nei since you can do conversations with them throughout the game.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Previous

Return to Tech and Design