Thank God they're dead!

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Re: Thank God they're dead!

Postby Darkil » Mon Jun 29, '09, 5:28 pm

Erpy wrote:I felt a bit sad when Aerith died, but not as much as the people who hype up that scene. The scene itself was moving...the body language of the other characters hammered home the point better than any dialogue did and Aerith's Theme is a genuinely beautiful and moving song. I think that because of the hype it received, lots of people are unnecessarily skeptical/critical about that scene. Keep in mind that since FF7 brought the RPG genre into the mainstream, this scene was the first time for many people a major character was taken away.

Very good point Erpy!

No doubt for those people, the scene triggered a similar response as the death of Nei in PS2 or Alys in PS4 for people here

Yes I bawled like a baby with these 2 scenes also
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jul 5, '09, 3:22 pm

I found Aeris' death fairly moving, mostly for the reasons Erpy stated. I don't consider it as big a deal as some make it out to be, but I respect it. Though, Alys' death tends to get me more than Aeris', easily.

But neither of these get me anywhere NEAR as much as the end of Mother 3 and Claus' suicide. Although Mother 3 may actually be my overall least favorite of the Mother games (reasons are for another topic, hmm topic idea...), its final boss battle is one of my favorites of all time. It's just so emotional, especially after the flashback and an incredibly moving version of the Mother 3 love theme that you haven't heard in the game before starts playing, and it becomes difficult for Lucas to attack his twin brother, and the same for him in turn, before he reveals himself, and dies in Lucas' arms.

Okay, on topic now...here's another one from me. Again, he didn't die, but I wish he had. Susano from Okami...yeah. He's a good guy, but...he is just IRRITATING. He's think he's supposed to be comic relief, but for me he's just annoying, going off about his noble ancestry then sleeping all the time and taking credit for things he doesn't do. He turns around in the end after you defeat Orochi, but...most of the game where he's a major character, he annoys me. And I hate running into him everywhere for the first third of the game.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Sun Jul 5, '09, 4:27 pm

I was glad to get away from Susano, also. I didn't find him very funny. Annoying, irritating... that's about the only way to describe it. He was able to get on my nerves very easily. In a way, I suppose that's a good thing - he did at least create a solid emotional response, even if it was dislike. That's more than I got from Aeris.

Erpy wrote:Keep in mind that since FF7 brought the RPG genre into the mainstream, this scene was the first time for many people a major character was taken away. No doubt for those people, the scene triggered a similar response as the death of Nei in PS2 or Alys in PS4 for people here.

Yeah, I can see how that could be part of it. I guess I was a little more desensitized to death in games by the time I played FF7. A death scene has to be really good, or I have a lot invested in a character, for it to have a real impact now. Eternal Sonata's Claves death scene was also low impact for me because I had little reason to like the character involved.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Tue Jul 7, '09, 5:51 am

I don't know if any one has played Capcom vs. SNK 2 here. But it is a fighting game crossing to generations of different fighters. Anyways Akuma from Street Fighter is Capcom's boss and Rugal from the KOF series is SNK's boss.

The game has two ending depending on which boss you fight and beat. Anyways. In Capcom vs. SNK 2 a fight takes place between Akuma and Rugal. If you fight Akuma, he strikes down Rugal and kills him with his Shun-Gouk-Satsu move (the translation for that move is the raging demon or instant hell murder move) thus Akuma kills SNK's toughest boss and he then absorbs all of Rugal's power turning him into Shin Akuma the best scene in the whole game. :wink:

If you however fight Rugal, Rugal manages to kill Akuma with an Orochi G-End end attack. But only Akuma’s body dies. Rugal also absorbs Akuma's energy where he is in fact absorbing Akuma’s spirit because Akuma is immortal as the kanji symbol on his back represents. This event causes Rugal to transform into God Rugal one very unforgiving boss.

When I first seen this I was in shock that Akuma was actually dead. But if you manage to beat God Rugal, in the ending you see that Rugal's mind isn’t strong enough to control Akuma's power. This causes a mental battle to take place with Akuma and Rugal and Akuma gaining the upper hand and killing Rugal for a second time. Just goes to show how powerful he is and how much I enjoyed watching SNK's boss die twice in the storyline. :D

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jul 12, '09, 5:25 pm

Sadism much, Lucas? :D You are now OFFICIALLY as bad with Akuma as I am with Ness. Welcome to the 'obsessed with a video game character too much' insane asylum! Here's your straitjacket. :p

Who else, who else...oh, here's two. First, the boss Ripto from the second game in the original Spyro trilogy. I was glad to see him die, as he was a villain...of the ANNOYING stripe. And then the developers that got the Spyro franchise later (with varying degrees of quality) kept resurrecting him! I want him to DIE and stay that way! Also from Spyro...Hunter the Cheetah. I have a love-hate thing with him. Sometimes I like him and he does genuinely help Spyro out, but other times he's annoying, incompetent and downright stupid. Sometimes to the point that I wish him to die. Especially in Ripto's Rage when he just yells at Ripto to give a stolen power crystal back and says 'Well, I tried'. If I was Elora I would've slapped him in the face...and gotten the power crystal myself. Spyro NPCs aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Lemina » Sun Jul 12, '09, 7:58 pm

Aerith----Since I haven't actually played Final Fantasy VII, I can't say for sure if it would affect me quite like it had affected the masses. I've seen her death on a recap during the Advent Children movie and I thought that it was melancholic, but not overwhelmingly sad. I think that it hit many RPG fans hard at the time because Final Fantasy VII was the first mainstream RPG to get rid of the heroine by death like that.

Have any of you ever played Shadow of the Colossus? I was quite joyous to see the 8th, 9th, and 11th colossus's defeated. (So far--I've only beat 14 of them as of now.) Man, they were annoying.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jul 12, '09, 8:08 pm

I don't know how many times I've played Shadow of the Colossus all the way through. I can't say I'm glad to kill 8, I never found him that annoying. 9, however...oy, he can annoying, but how I feel about killing it depends on how annoying he was on that particular run. 11 isn't too bad either, at least for me...unless you don't land on him when you jump the cliff yourself. Sometimes I make the jump, other times I don't. When I don't, I feel lucky to beat the thing. I like seeing 12 die, I find 12 annoying for some reason and I can't identify why. 15 I sometimes jump for joy at killing because he's such a pain, especially on hard mode! 14 I don't care for either, that is WAY too drawn out.

But most of the rest of the colossi I always feel a bit guilty when I kill them, yet I keep doing it. :guilty:

Wolf Bird

Postby Lucas » Tue Jul 14, '09, 8:57 am

Caged Wolf wrote:Sadism much, Lucas? :D You are now OFFICIALLY as bad with Akuma as I am with Ness. Welcome to the 'obsessed with a video game character too much' insane asylum! Here's your straitjacket. :p

Sadism, CW :? ?...Not likely :blank: . I don't get excited watching others in pain. But seeing Akuma show SNK's toughest boss how he stands high above him twice was all too good. Also remember Akuma is only my favourite male video game character :D . When it comes to female video game characters I have far to many soft spots. Especially for KOS-MOS and Athena Asamiya I really can't chooses between either of those two girls. :wink:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Jul 14, '09, 12:39 pm

Lucas wrote:Sadism, CW :? ?...Not likely :blank:

I was poking fun, you seemed quite happy over it all. :wink:

Wolf Bird

Postby Snorb » Tue Jul 14, '09, 4:09 pm

Fable II: Lucien. The game does a very good job of making you hate him- he murders your sister, spouse, children, dog, and your entire hometown to power up a spire to recreate the world in his image. I'm not there yet, but I'm training my character's Finesse so I can tell my friends, "Yeah, I shot the final boss of Fable II in the face with a Mastercraft Blunderbuss."
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

PreviousNext

Return to Tech and Design