Capcom Has Only $152 Mil in the Bank

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Capcom Has Only $152 Mil in the Bank

Postby S4Blade » Wed Sep 11, '13, 2:33 pm

Source: http://gaminrealm.com/2013/09/10/capcom-152-mil-bank/

Now 152 Million may seem like a lot of money, but given the size of a company like Capcom, this is NOT a lot of money at all. The article goes on to say that Capcom is planning on focusing more on DLC in the future, but I think that Capcom's poor DLC practices may have been a cause of their issues in the first place.

I grew up playing a lot of Capcom games, so I almost hate to see this happen, but I can't say that I agree with a lot of their decisions as a company lately.

So what do you think? Can Capcom recover from this? Do you agree with their plan to focus more on DLC content?
Last edited by S4Blade on Wed Sep 11, '13, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Capcom Has Only $152 Mil in the Bank

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Sep 11, '13, 3:19 pm

Focusing on DLC content? Given history of Capcom and DLC, that's an interesting tactic. I suppose it COULD work, depending on if they change the way they approach DLC, what that content is, and how they work with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft to get that DLC to consumers.

I wonder if there's any chance for them to leverage the Ouya as well if they're taking a DLC-focused approach. Granted, the Ouya hasn't really been doing too well, though I still think the concept behind it is pretty neat. It also seems like something that could maybe help Comcast out a bit if they're struggling.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Thu Sep 12, '13, 12:50 pm

I've been looking at some other forums where people are commenting on Capcom's current situation, and there are a lot of people that are ecstatic about it. It seems a lot of people are thinking that Capcom is getting what they deserve.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Sep 12, '13, 5:23 pm

Yeah, they've been alienating a lot of fans recently and I haven't exactly been crazy about all the DLC practices, personally. I don't want to see Capcom fall apart, they're a great company with a great history, but in my opinion they're not doing a lot to foster a good relationship with fans right now. That Breath of Fire sequel that looks nothing like Breath of Fire and is apparently nothing but a browser-based money pit is a good example.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby MrKite » Fri Sep 13, '13, 3:11 am

I grew up with Capcom. All their big franchises like Street Fighter, Mega Man, the Disney titles, Strider, Final Fight, etc. But for the last two years they haven't been very graceful to their longtime fans including me. And I say it's their own fault they're in the financial situation because they milk the life out of franchises and use locked on disc DLC. The Capcom I know and love is long gone. Nowadays they're just as bad as EA and Activision. Oh well, so much for wanting to see Power Stone 3.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby S4Blade » Sat Sep 14, '13, 8:18 pm

I think the worst part about Capcom and their on disc locked DLC practices were the lies about them. Capcom's community managers would straight up lie, and say that the content wasn't on the disk. Then a few weeks later, someone would data mine the discs and find all of the content that they said was not on the disk. This is what happened with Street Fighter X Tekken.

Despite the fact that I wanted to buy SFxT, I waited to buy it until it was $19.99 because I knew that I was going to get hosed on the DLC costs for the extra characters and costumes. I'm very patient these days, so waiting a little while to play a game doesn't bother me.

It seems that Capcom lies about on disc DLC until they are proven wrong, and then they try to backpedal, but by then it's too late. They have already aggravated their fans.
Last edited by S4Blade on Sat Sep 14, '13, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Sep 17, '13, 7:27 am

Sad to hear this about Capcom as I remember playing many of their games mentioned above, etc. I hope they can recover and I believe they can with the right approach, etc.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Thu Jan 2, '14, 5:37 am

Capcom has just taken way too many negative hits in the public relations department over the last few years. DLC is fine and dandy, but only when it used wisely to extend the enjoyment of a game beyond the original release. Those on disc fiascoes were the perfect example of how DLC should never be handled.

Add that behavior to their essential abandonment of most of their popular franchises and Capcom is a recipe for a failing company. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them bought out by one of the larger developers in the next couple of years.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to In the News