Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

There's lots to talk about on the smaller screen.

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Postby Snorb » Thu Jul 31, '14, 1:03 am

Volume 1 and 2 of the original comics were awesome, as was the 1990 movie (and Secret of the Ooze. I liked Secret of the Ooze.)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III... look, I know the movie's awful. It's indefensibly terrible, utter crap, and a complete insult to samurai-era Japan, time travel plots, and the lovely Paige Turco. But it's not as awful as Volume 3 of the comics.

[Reveal] Spoiler: You are better off not knowing this. This is a thing that actually happened.
Raphael gets one of hands cut off. Leonardo loses an eye. Donatello is maimed so badly they have to turn him into a cyborg so he doesn't die. The Turtles kill Shredder, as in "Shredder goes one way, his severed head goes the other way." Raphael puts on Shredder's armor and decides to take up Shredder's mantle.

No wonder Volume 4 decided to say "No, Volume 3 never happened, people know about aliens like the Utrom, the Turtles are middle-aged now, Casey and April got married and have a daughter."

I'm gonna sound equally weird for saying this, but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) actually looks like it's gonna be decent. Yes, it's Michael Bay, so you know it's gonna be mindless stupid action, and yes, it's got Megan Fox who's easy on the eyes but can't act if her career depended on it, but I'm a fan of dumb stupid popcorn fun. (Except Transformers. Those movies are just stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.)

Tangentially-related fun fact: Every TMNT weapon is statted out in Dungeons & Dragons. Unsurprisingly, the katana is the only one actually worth wielding. (Rather surprisingly, a sai does bludgeoning damage instead of piercing damage as you'd expect.)
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Aeroprism » Thu Jul 31, '14, 2:05 am

Snorb wrote:I'm gonna sound equally weird for saying this, but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) actually looks like it's gonna be decent. Yes, it's Michael Bay, so you know it's gonna be mindless stupid action, and yes, it's got Megan Fox who's easy on the eyes but can't act if her career depended on it, but I'm a fan of dumb stupid popcorn fun. (Except Transformers. Those movies are just stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.)

At this exact moment, you are my hero and I love you enough to dedicate my next poem to you.

Snorb wrote:Tangentially-related fun fact: Every TMNT weapon is statted out in Dungeons & Dragons. Unsurprisingly, the katana is the only one actually worth wielding. (Rather surprisingly, a sai does bludgeoning damage instead of piercing damage as you'd expect.)

A Sai is a defensive weapon, not meant to inflict damage. Also, the correct way to "attack" with a sai is to slap silly (bludgeon) and not poke. A real Sai is not even pointy/sharp. They however make extremely efficient tools to block and disarm blades. Nunchucks share most of these traits as well except for one more: they are cool.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Snorb » Thu Jul 31, '14, 2:28 am

Aeroprism wrote:A Sai is a defensive weapon, not meant to inflict damage. Also, the correct way to "attack" with a sai is to slap silly (bludgeon) and not poke. A real Sai is not even pointy/sharp. They however make extremely efficient tools to block and disarm blades. Nunchucks share most of these traits as well except for one more: they are cool.

I know, I know =p

Just for posterity's sake: The sai in D&D grants you a +2 bonus on disarm and sunder checks (but hell if Paizo Publishing will actually tell you about the sunder bonus in the stat line.) Nunchaku are more damaging (by one die step) but don't grant the sunder bonus. (nerd glasses on)
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Jul 31, '14, 3:55 am

Love the TMNT. Hard to pick a favorite as they each are so lovable in various ways. I like the TMNT's from the classic cartoons best and The first movie was pretty good too. I don't think I have seen any of the newer movies yet. Something to add to my list I guess.
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Aeroprism » Thu Jul 31, '14, 11:52 am

Snorb wrote:Just for posterity's sake: The sai in D&D grants you a +2 bonus on disarm and sunder checks (but hell if Paizo Publishing will actually tell you about the sunder bonus in the stat line.) Nunchaku are more damaging (by one die step) but don't grant the sunder bonus. (nerd glasses on)

Admittedly, it is much more tricky to disarm a blade with nunchucks. I tried, many times. The blade wasn't sharp but my fingers still hated me for it. As for damage, nunchucks may not be as deadly as a katana but trust me, they DO hurt a heck of a lot more than a sai. That I also tried. :yes:
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Jul 31, '14, 1:12 pm

I happen to have all three of the original movies on blu-ray, got them cheap at Worcester a while back. The first one still, overall, holds up pretty well today and I'd say is genuinely a pretty decent movie. The second one not quite as much, but I don't think it's terrible. It's still watchable and entertaining, generally for the right reasons. The third one is awful, but still fun to watch if you're in the mood for a bad movie.

I'm not sure how I feel about the upcoming movie, though. I honestly, really, do not like the redesign of the turtles. In my opinion, it's ugly. It's not quite as bad as they look in the recent Out of the Shadows game, but still, I find it ugly. I dunno if I'll go see it in theaters, but I'll definitely want to see it once it's out on blu-ray/DVD/Netflix.

I haven't seen any of the new TV series. I'm willing to admit I never cared for the 2003 reboot that much…I didn't hate it, but I never quite got into it. I'm again likely biased by nostalgia for the earlier kid-oriented series, but I find something inherently humorous about the entire concept of TMNT, and a more serious tone with it never sat right for me. Until I actually see any of the new series, I'm withholding judgement, but I'm willing to admit I won't go out of my way to see it.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 6, '14, 11:00 pm

I got into the TMNT stuff kind of late as a kid, but I enjoyed it like most others. Had some of the toys (probably still do in storage), not much of the other merchandise. Some of it, sure, but not a lot. Never really got into the video games, except for that first arcade game. That was fun.

I haven't seen the original TV series in years, though. I think I actually have one or two VHS tapes from it, but I avoid watching them because I know I probably won't enjoy it unless I'm feeling very nostalgic. Instead I pull out the DVD of the first couple of movies every now and then. And the last one, the all CGI one. That was a fairly decent Turtles movie, aside from the whole ancient monster plotline. I have no opinion about the upcoming film, though what little I've seen of the designs doesn't impress me. I just hope it's not another Bay-formers.

I liked the 2003 reboot for the first few seasons, but it does have a very different tone. It's almost like a polar opposite of the first series. When they started making it gimmicky with the time travel and cyber stuff it went down the drain fast.

The newer series, I only saw the first few episodes of that, but I found it was like a middle ground between the first couple of movies and the first tv series. It's darker in atmosphere like the movies but has more humor and a bit of slapstick like the tv series. It's not nearly as serious as the 2003 show. It works pretty well, I thought, but I lost interest in watching after a few episodes.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Aug 7, '14, 5:28 am

Wolf Bird wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about the upcoming movie, though. I honestly, really, do not like the redesign of the turtles. In my opinion, it's ugly. It's not quite as bad as they look in the recent Out of the Shadows game, but still, I find it ugly. I dunno if I'll go see it in theaters, but I'll definitely want to see it once it's out on blu-ray/DVD/Netflix

The redesigns look terrible indeed. In my opinion, it mostly just the heads that look weird. When I first saw the turtles, I immediately thought of the Gorons from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask. I will probably see the movie in theaters, but only because I want to take my brother for his birthday. He's more of a fan of TMNT than myself, plus I don't see him that often anymore so it'll be great to hang out with my little brother.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Aug 7, '14, 12:49 pm

A couple days ago I saw an MBTA bus with a huge ad for the upcoming movie plastered on the side of it. I am willing to admit it's pretty cool to see ads for something like that on the public transit system here.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Aug 11, '14, 10:01 pm

The new Turtles movie seems to be doing very well at theaters so far:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cowabunga ... 08290.html
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

PreviousNext

Return to Tubular Television