Techs or Skills?

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Techniques or Skills?

Techniques
33%
Skills
20%
I like both equally
40%
Neither, really
7%

Total votes : 15

Techs or Skills?

Postby Thoul » Fri Apr 6, '07, 9:57 pm

Which do you prefer using in PSIV, Techniques or Skills? Techniques use one collective pool of points for all the techs, where Skills have a set number of uses for the individual skills. You can also replenish the tech points using items, but you have to stay at an inn to recover skill points. Most of the combos in the game involve skills. As I remember, only a few used techs.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Techs or Skills?

Postby Neithird » Mon Apr 9, '07, 5:21 pm

Techs are best for me. I like the skills, but I save them for the boss battles. Then I unload all of them in a few turns for lots of damage. On all the normal monsters, I just use Techs (unless I get into trouble, then I might break out one or two skills).
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Mon Apr 9, '07, 7:02 pm

I used to do that when I was first playing, too. Later on I started using more skills on the lesser enemies, mainly the weaker skills that didn't do much to bosses. I've come to like Techs and Skills about the same.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Jun 10, '07, 12:43 am

I've got to go with Skills because of the individuality involved. Many of the Techs are shared between the characters, but nearly every single Skill is unique to each character. I like the roles Skills put the characters in.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Jul 5, '13, 7:08 am

Bumping this topic up to ask all newcomers the same question. Techs or skills? I actually using skills, because I find they are more powerful and are more unique, and I felt like techniques had more of a supporting role.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Erpy » Sun Jul 14, '13, 12:32 pm

I don't think it's possible to replenish tech points outside of an inn by any other means than Raja's Ataraxia, so as far as the ability to restore them goes, techniques are only slightly ahead of skills. I prefer skills since you can use hit-all skills and stun/instant death skills on randoms and still have all your heavy-hitter skills for the boss. Skills are generally more potent too compared to techniques.
Erpy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 26

Postby Tanith » Sun Jul 14, '13, 7:48 pm

Techs. I didn't use combos that often, and techs provided a wider range of attacks and buffs than skills. Plus, I just didn't really like the extra game mechanic of skills. Seems like it could have been simplified; most of the battles were just too easy to need an extra battle mechanic.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby jessie » Sun Jul 14, '13, 10:37 pm

Both for me. They all have their uses.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
ImageImage
ImageImage
jessie
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 39

Postby Flames of Yagami » Mon Jul 15, '13, 7:01 am

Both, although I do end up using techs more often.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Postby tilinelson2 » Mon Jul 15, '13, 2:12 pm

Save for healing techs, I would only use techs or skills in boss battles, because otherwise they were mostly superfluous since the difficulty level was very low and the skills and tech points were scarce. So techs, but not by a wide margin.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Next

Return to Phantasy Star IV