Favorite Gaming Magazine

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Favorite Gaming Magazine

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Oct 3, '07, 5:58 pm

What's your favorite Gaming magazine?

I was at the doctor's office yesterday and they had a ton of magazines there. I was surprised to see that a lot of them were Gaming magazines. I didn't have a chance to see them all before I had to go. So, I was just wondering what is everyone's favorite game related magazines to read?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 3, '07, 7:45 pm

I don't really read any now. I used to really like Nintendo Power, back during the NES/SNES days. They had good game coverage and some entertaining comics like NESter and Howard. I had a subscription to it for years, but I haven't picked up a new issue since the N64 period.

EGM used to be good too, but I never really got into it as regularly.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Oct 4, '07, 1:20 am

I used to read EGM, but it's been years. My tastes got so compartmentalized that I didn't need an industry overview. That and the rise of the Internet took care of my reading!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 4, '07, 5:47 am

Yeah, who needs gaming mags when you can find the same kind of info on the internet, weeks before the mags come out?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Oct 5, '07, 1:02 am

Thoul wrote:Yeah, who needs gaming mags when you can find the same kind of info on the internet, weeks before the mags come out?
My thoughts on all print media anymore. Sure, it's nice to have something in your hands if you don't want to be glued to your monitor, but for news in particular, it's up to the minute online!

At this point, the only thing I'd rather have in print is a book.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Atolm » Fri Oct 5, '07, 6:02 am

I get Nintendo power, and only because it was a gift subscription. :)
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Thoul » Fri Oct 5, '07, 8:03 am

At this point, the only thing I'd rather have in print is a book.

For me, it's books and the occasional game guide. Usually if I want/need a game guide, I'll just find it on the internet and print out the sections I want, though. Most "professional" guide books are just terrible at getting their facts right. The only reason I'd get one of those is for the art.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Yoshi » Fri Oct 5, '07, 10:22 pm

I don't read any of the game magazines. I'd rather play the game and find out from firsthand experience what will happen next, etc. :bang:
Yoshi
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 102

Postby The $ Avenger » Sat Oct 6, '07, 1:09 am

Thoul wrote:Most "professional" guide books are just terrible at getting their facts right. The only reason I'd get one of those is for the art.
What's with those guides anyway? The last one I bought was for FF7 because I couldn't figure out how to breed Chocobos, but gamefaqs has much more in-depth faqs. You'd never see anything like the PSIV Stat FAQ at gamefaqs with the breakdowns of the base power of all the Techs. Bah.

Yoshi wrote:don't read any of the game magazines. I'd rather play the game and find out from firsthand experience what will happen next, etc. :bang:
That's definitely my attitude now. I hate spoilers!! :pan:
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Sat Oct 6, '07, 5:32 am

I think the guides are based on pre-release versions of the games and are rushed to production so they can be out when the game itself is released. Then something gets changed in the final version of the game or there isn't time to proofread for errors, and the guide winds up being completely wrong on something. :irked:

Fan FAQs are always better because we look at things in more depth and have all the time in the world to do it. We get it done right! :up:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to General Gaming