Tales series

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Tales series

Postby Thoul » Wed Apr 18, '07, 3:09 am

The Tales series is an RPG series that seems to be held in pretty high regard. I've only played one, Tales of Symphonia, but I really enjoyed it. I've been meaning to pick up the latest one, Tales of the Abyss I think, but haven't gotten around to it. Does anyone have any recommendations about others in the series that are worth checking out?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Tales series

Postby Zafneir » Wed Apr 18, '07, 5:11 am

Tales of Phantasia for Gameboy Advance is worth a mention. It's the first in the series and of the three Tales games that I've played, it's my favorite. I especially like it for the Norse references throughout the game. It's also farely easy to find as it was finally released to the U.S. not too long ago. The two other Tales games I played were Tales of Destiny and Tales of Destiny 2. Both were enjoyable, however ToD 1 is an uncommon find these days, so consider yourself lucky if you see a copy for sale. I'm not sure as to how difficult ToD2 is to find, though.
Drum Solo of Life!
Zafneir
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 12

Postby Thoul » Wed Apr 18, '07, 10:47 pm

Oh, Phantasia was the first? I remember seeing it in stores a few months ago, but I didn't know that. Was a port from the SNES or something?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Neithird » Fri Apr 20, '07, 10:15 pm

I only played Symphonia, also. I thought the story was kind of repetitive after a while. I mean, how many times can Collette fall into the hands of the bad guys?? :fiery: It's not bad, though, just kind of weak at a few parts.

The battles were lots of fun. I was going to try the next one that came out on PS2 (Legendia? something like that). I heard the battles were a lot different in it, so I passed on it for now.

You know, now that I think about it, I believe I have a demo disk that had a level from one of the Tales of Destiny games on it.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Triumvirate » Sun Apr 22, '07, 9:04 pm

I've played most of the Tales series.

Was a port from the SNES or something?
Yeah, it was an SNES port. That's where I played it. Great game, tons of fun.

I currently have Tales of Destiny 1 (for Playstation) and Tales of Legendia (for PS2). I've had at one time or another almost all of them though.

Combat was always fun, though it didn't change much from one to the next, and the story is very "RPG cliche" but that's half the charm of the series I think.
Triumvirate
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 1

Postby Thoul » Sun Apr 22, '07, 10:33 pm

Thanks, I'll definitely have to check out Phantasia, then. SNES RPGs are some of my favorites, so that will probably be right up my alley.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thoul » Sat Oct 6, '07, 5:16 am

I picked up Phantasia for GBA recently. I've been keeping an eye out for it in several stores and eventually found a copy. It was about $7 new, even though it was marked $19.99. That's the kind of deal I like. :neenerneener:

I haven't started playing it yet, but I look forward to it. I finally got Abyss, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Oct 7, '07, 2:47 am

Thoul wrote:I picked up Phantasia for GBA recently. I've been keeping an eye out for it in several stores and eventually found a copy. It was about $7 new, even though it was marked $19.99. That's the kind of deal I like. :neenerneener:

I haven't started playing it yet, but I look forward to it. I finally got Abyss, too.
Wow that was cheap! That's one of those series that intrigued me, but I've never gotten around to. Put it in the never-ending pile of entertainment that I probably won't have time to get to! :p There's so many great games out there!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Mon Oct 8, '07, 8:54 am

It was really surprised at the price, too. At the register I had already gotten the money out for it, but then it rang up at less than half. That was a nice surprise to end that shopping trip on. :bouncy:

I have a lot of games in that pile, too. I hope to get to them all one day, but I don't know how I'll ever find the time for it. :worried: :faint:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Gaming