Disney Buys Lucasfilm, Announces Star Wars 7

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Disney Buys Lucasfilm, Announces Star Wars 7

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 31, '12, 3:31 am

News broke today that Disney is buying Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion US. Lucasfilm is, of course, George Lucas' company which owns the rights to Star Wars and Indiana Jones. With control of these and other franchises, Disney has announced that Star Wars Episode 7 will be released in 2015.

What do you think of this? Are you excited for the possibility of a continuation of the Star Wars film series? What direction should the story take? Should it pick up where Episode 6, Return of the Jedi, left off or tell an entirely new tale?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm, Announces Star Wars 7

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Oct 31, '12, 2:08 pm

I'm actually really excited about this. I have no idea what Disney's going to do, specifically, but I've liked their Marvel films so far, and as much as I love the original trilogy I think Lucas dropped the ball a little with the prequels, except Revenge of the Sith. Lucas still has good ideas, he just needs to be in more of an advisory role, which he apparently is now, which is awesome.

I really hope they do some post-Jedi stuff, because I think that's what fans have been clamoring for. Of course, you run into the problem of how to cast beloved characters, but hey. I'd personally like to see them do the Thrawn trilogy, but I don't know what the odds are on that one. I just think it would make for some great films. Thrawn is very much a villain worthy of the Star Wars cinematic universe.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Thoul » Thu Nov 1, '12, 5:23 am

I haven't read the Thrawn stuff myself, but I know it formed to basis for a lot of the expanded universe material that continued the story of Luke and friends. It seems to me that would be the best place to begin with a continuation, but it would probably require casting other people in the famous roles of the original trilogy. Mark Hamill and the rest may be too old to reprise their roles in that story. I suspect some fans would not be happy with a recasting at all.

It seems there's a report today that claims an "inside source" at Lucasfilm stated the new film will be an original story. It's not an official statement, but if true, it may mean the story is going in a different direction.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Nov 1, '12, 2:14 pm

Yeah, I just read that myself. I'll be interested to see where the new story goes, if they go that route. It'll also be interesting to see how they deal with the original characters. People are going to want to know what happens to them!
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Nov 10, '12, 9:53 pm

I'm happy to hear the "Star Wars" theme will continue but I don't know if they can successfully keep it going. What I mean is I don't think it will rival the success of the previous films, but I'd certainly like to see them try it. :yes:

Great news though as I read in an article that actor Harrison Ford, who played Hans Solo in the original "Star Wars" films might like to do some more films also.....fantastic!!! It would be terrific to see all the old cast back doing something in a new film. Pass the torch on to another younger generation, I suppose. Sounds good.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-tal ... 29069.html

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Sun Nov 11, '12, 12:34 am

I've read that Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher are also willing to reprise their roles. It would be nice to see them all come back again.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Nov 11, '12, 3:27 am

As silly as it would most likely be to have the whole gang back together, I won't lie, it would mean a lot to me. I would probably cry. I mean, there probably aren't going to be too many more chances to get the original Star Wars cast together again for new films. It would just be a nostalgia overload, and I would love it, even if it was totally hokey. I hope they can get Billy Dee Williams, too.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby Thoul » Sun Nov 11, '12, 8:56 pm

I think that would be a sure fire way to get just about every fan of the original series on board for watching at least one movie. Chewbacca and the droids would be easy to bring back. All that would be missing is Vader and Yoda or Obi-Wan.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thoul » Thu Nov 22, '12, 12:34 am

New news! Reports say that Disney is planning at least two movies after Episode VII. The really good part is that they've reported brought in the writer of Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Raiders of the Lost Ark! That points to a chance of those movies really being good and perhaps keeping the spirit of the original trilogy.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/artic ... rs-sequels
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby myau56 » Fri Nov 23, '12, 12:18 pm

That's surely a good think ! We'll see later if it's really the case. :hyper:
Last edited by myau56 on Fri Nov 23, '12, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Return to Feature Films