Swine Flu

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Re: Swine Flu

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Apr 29, '09, 8:08 pm

Darkil wrote:I just read this morning that a 23 month old child in texas has died due to swine flu. I urge everyone to be careful with this as it's not something to blow off like the common cold.

The child was a Mexican citizen, though, just in the U.S. at the time.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not blowing this Swine Flu strand off as a joke; I just think the media is hyping it up to the extreme. It's one thing to be concerned, but don't be afraid to leave your house.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Darkil » Wed Apr 29, '09, 8:45 pm

Ahh well they didn't expound on it earlier this morning. Of course I'm not suggesting that anyone is taking this lightly, just wanting everyone to be careful.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Jun 12, '09, 1:02 pm

Well, the WHO has officially declared a pandemic. Swine flu seemed to have faded into the background in the media until a few days ago, at least I didn't hear about it as much as I did, say, a month ago. There was an article in the paper today...apparently there's been a confirmed case in a county directly west of here.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Darkil » Fri Jun 12, '09, 1:39 pm

Yeah there have been confirmed cases in my state and county also. I saw they raised the level of the flu but they stated that doesn't mean the virus has become more deadly, just wanting to increase the awareness of the public and push a vaccine much quicker.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jun 12, '09, 9:35 pm

I heard this on the news also about the WHO. I must admit that there for awhile I was kinda worried about this swine flu stuff. It seemed our state was late in having any cases, although a few did finally show up but not close to where we live. I kinda expected it though when they refused to shut the border between the US and Mexico and still allowed people to travel back and forth. It was a no brainer that more cases would show up in the US eventually. After all the hoopla in the beginning, I haven't heard much about it the last few weeks. I hope we never hear about it again, although I'm sure that is just wishful thinking.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Jun 13, '09, 12:16 am

I have an important message regarding Swine Flu!

Whatever you do, don't do this:

:lol:
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Lucas » Sat Jun 13, '09, 11:23 am

@ Rune, Yeah that's kinda funny :lol: . But we still should take this topic seriously because people are dying from this. :blank:

As for Australia, Victoria is the hardest hit state for swine flu with over 900 cases in that state alone. As for QLD we have about 200 cases or so. But it’s definitely increased over the last few weeks. Also a city not to far away from mine has had to shut down several of its schools due to kids with swine flu. At the present time my city has no confirmed cases. :relieved:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Oct 24, '09, 10:34 pm

President Obama has declared a Swine Flu National Emergency:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33459423/ns ... ld_and_flu

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Sun Oct 25, '09, 3:40 am

Garfield seems to be ready for it.

I shouldn't poke fun, but I just found it ironic that the Garfield comic happened to run that particular strip on the same day an announcement of this nature comes.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed May 5, '10, 3:02 am

Bumping this topic up.

I saw in the news today where the US has 71 Million doeses of Swine Flu Vaccine that were never used. I guess they will save them for later this year, or whenever they need them. It makes you wonder if they had done some things differently when dispensing this drug if maybe these doeses would have been used. I know almost everytime I heard they had them available in our area, they always mentioned you had to be one of the "high risk" groups to get it. I can understand those groups needing the vaccine first, but maybe 71 million people stayed home and didn't get the vaccine because they weren't considered " high risk ". :grumpy: Just my two cents.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKN0318959620100503

Silver_Surfer1

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation