Swine Flu

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Swine Flu

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Apr 27, '09, 9:32 pm

Seems this swine flu outbreak is really beginning to be something to worry about. I hope they get this under control before it spreads any further. Several people in Mexico have already died. Last I heard there were some cases in NY and some other areas of the US. I think everyone affected had recently traveled to Mexico, or something along those lines.

Any news of this in your area? Hope everyone stays safe as possible.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/ap_ ... _swine_flu

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Swine Flu

Postby Rune_Walsh » Mon Apr 27, '09, 10:26 pm

The media is hyping it up, that's for sure. I am wondering if it's just another "scare" like the Bird Flu of last year.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Lucas » Tue Apr 28, '09, 8:34 am

Ten New Zealand students who went on a trip to Mexico have been belived to have caught the Swine Flu. It was a very big uproar in Australia because to get back to New Zealand they would have to fly from Mexico to a major Australian airport then back to their country.
Last edited by Lucas on Fri May 28, '10, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Apr 28, '09, 3:52 pm

I think the reason everyone is jumping on this is because unlike the bird flu a few years back, this one is doing human to human transmission. And spreading a lot faster than bird flu ever did.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Rune_Walsh » Tue Apr 28, '09, 8:54 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:I think the reason everyone is jumping on this is because unlike the bird flu a few years back, this one is doing human to human transmission. And spreading a lot faster than bird flu ever did.

Bird flu is still viral influenza, though, that people died from. People die from influenza strands every year. As with Bird flu, the media is treating Swine flu as an epidemic, which it is not - yet.

But I'll be protecting myself anyway, since I work with the public: wash your hands often, use hand sanitizer, and don't touch your eyes or mouth.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Lemina » Wed Apr 29, '09, 2:34 am

What do you know, I'm actually watching this on the news. The good news is that the government is prepared for this potential flu epidemic unlike the flu epidemics of the past (so I've heard). I'll remember to wash my hands much more often.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Apr 29, '09, 5:58 am

Lemina wrote:What do you know, I'm actually watching this on the news. The good news is that the government is prepared for this potential flu epidemic unlike the flu epidemics of the past (so I've heard). I'll remember to wash my hands much more often.

Well, I've done a little homework on the Swine flu, yet I'm watching the news too, but there's only so much of the media I can tolerate. ;)

It seems like the Swine flu is spreading and is offically an epidemic, but hopefully a vaccine will be developed soon. From what I've read, apparently the Swine flu virus is vulnerable to anti-viral drugs.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Postby Darkil » Wed Apr 29, '09, 12:31 pm

I just read this morning that a 23 month old child in texas has died due to swine flu. I urge everyone to be careful with this as it's not something to blow off like the common cold.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby LordShibas » Wed Apr 29, '09, 6:44 pm

............nope, not interesting to me yet.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Apr 29, '09, 6:53 pm

Still hearing plenty about this. But despite everything I've heard, there is one thing I really find interesting...I have yet to read about a single case of this in Africa!
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Next

Return to Casual Conversation