Super Mario 2

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Super Mario 2

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 29, '10, 11:48 pm

In honor of Super Mario's 25th anniversary, I wanted to start a thread to discuss this game of "Super Mario 2".

I think I can safely say that this is my favorite of all the Super Mario games. I have played "Super Mario 2" countless times. Mostly for fun, and sometimes just to increase my speed and see how fast I could beat the game.

Any other fans of "Super Mario 2" here?

What was the easiest stage for you to play in the game? For me, I really can't recall. They were all fairly easy after getting to know the game, even with some obstacles along the way.

What was the hardest stage in the game for you? For me, it was the stages involving the snakes (I kept going in quick sand on that one), and also the stage with the exploding bombs (#6, I think it was). I never quite mastered that stage. I just got out of there as quickly as possible. :p

What did you think of the music for "Super Mario 2"? Easily my favorite music, but it could also be irritating at times when listening to it for a long period of time.

Also, which character was your favorite to use to play in the game...Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, or Toad? I always used Princess Peach for some reason...never the others. She was my favorite and I figured she could be a hero all on her own. :wink:

Any particular moments or other things in the game of "Super Mario 2" that stand out in your memory?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Super Mario 2

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Sep 30, '10, 2:14 am

I remember that when I was little, we often borrowed this game from a friend. So I guess I loved it then. But nowadays, it's probably my least favorite Mario game. Still good, mind.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby hugues » Thu Sep 30, '10, 4:20 am

Any other fans of "Super Mario 2" here?
Definitely - I know a lot of people don't like this game because it's so different from the others but I'm a fan and have played it more than any other Mario game.

What was the easiest stage for you to play in the game?
I'll go with World 2-1 because it's so short.

What was the hardest stage in the game for you?
World 6-2 where you have to jump on the Albatoss birds to get across - the timing on that is tough and you're dead if you miss a single jump.

What did you think of the music for "Super Mario 2"?
I think this is the only weak point of the game - not enough variety and gets old after a while.

Also, which character was your favorite to use to play in the game...Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, or Toad?
Luigi because his jump height and distance are just insane. Even Peach's with float, he still goes the farthest. He can skip huge parts of several levels that the other characters can't.

Any particular moments or other things in the game of "Super Mario 2" that stand out in your memory?
So this isn't in the game itself but the thing I'll always remember is that first issue of Nintendo Power that previewed Super Mario Bros 2. They did such an amazing job making you drool over it - the pictures looked beautiful and they sold it like it was the greatest game ever made. Those evil geniuses at Nintendo Power :twisted:
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Tanith » Thu Sep 30, '10, 5:32 am

I didn't really like this game until they released Super Mario All-Stars* for SNES, then this easily became my favorite of the original games. Well, I suppose if I really liked the SNES version I can't call it "original," but I don't remember it being any different except for updated graphics.

I liked the final world best, because I like magic castles in the sky (And every game back then had the final boss in a sky castle, so yay! This was, however, nowhere near as hard as the castle in Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, which was brutally hard and has one of the worst endings of any video game ever). I also liked the level with the ice blocks, because they were fun to skid across. I don't remember the actual number for that world.

I would agree that the bird world was hard, but other than that I can't recall this game being exceptionally hard. That's probably why I liked it. :D

@ SS1- I think you could pretty much skip most of that bomb world by jumping on a bird and scrolling to the left instead. One of the quicksand worlds did the same thing: not-so-secret door to the left at the beginning of the world.

I preferred playing with Princess Peach and Toad, depending on the level. I found Peach's floating easier to control than Luigi, and Toad was helpful for retrieving those bonus items.

*Which contains the original SMB2, retitled as "Bonus Worlds" or something like that.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Sep 30, '10, 5:23 pm

hugues wrote:
What was the hardest stage in the game for you?
World 6-2 where you have to jump on the Albatoss birds to get across - the timing on that is tough and you're dead if you miss a single jump.

Totally agree with you regarding that world and the birds. It took me forever to even realize that I was going to have to jump on the birds to get across. I kept trying to figure out other ways. Then when I finally figured there was no other way out, it took me forever to figure out how to stay on the birds without falling off. Needless to say, I got lots and lots of practice during that stage of the game. :wink:

hugues wrote:
Also, which character was your favorite to use to play in the game...Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, or Toad?
Luigi because his jump height and distance are just insane. Even Peach's with float, he still goes the farthest. He can skip huge parts of several levels that the other characters can't.

Ooo, I will keep that in mind. I might have to try this game again with Luigi. Thanks for the tip. :yes:

hugues wrote:Any particular moments or other things in the game of "Super Mario 2" that stand out in your memory?

So this isn't in the game itself but the thing I'll always remember is that first issue of Nintendo Power that previewed Super Mario Bros 2. They did such an amazing job making you drool over it - the pictures looked beautiful and they sold it like it was the greatest game ever made. Those evil geniuses at Nintendo Power :twisted:

I think I have an issue of Nintendo Power featuring Super Mario 2 around here somewhere. I'm not sure if it is the one you mentioned above, or not, but I do know it was awesome, and I wouldn't part with it for hardly anything. Some people wouldn't understand that, I guess, unless they were video game fans.
Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Thu Sep 30, '10, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Sep 30, '10, 5:36 pm

Tanith wrote: I also liked the level with the ice blocks, because they were fun to skid across. I don't remember the actual number for that world.

Yes, I agree with you, the ice world was fun! I remember slipping and sliding all over the place there. A bit hard to get your footing solid there. I just kept moving as fast as possible. That helped a bit.

Tanith wrote: @ SS1- I think you could pretty much skip most of that bomb world by jumping on a bird and scrolling to the left instead. One of the quicksand worlds did the same thing: not-so-secret door to the left at the beginning of the world.

Thanks for the tip! I don't think I ever tried that with the birds in this stage. I think I remember doing it, or seeing a friend do it, in the quicksand/snake world though. I'll have to remember that. :)

Silver_Surfer1

Return to Retro Roundup