Ys I&II on the Virtual Console

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Ys I&II on the Virtual Console

Postby hugues » Fri Aug 29, '08, 2:34 pm

Ys I&II for the TurboGrafx-16 CD is finally available on the virtual console :) To this day it has my favorite soundtrack of any game. The play control might feel a bit dated now, but it's still totally worth the $8.

hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Celeith » Fri Aug 29, '08, 3:14 pm

I loved Y's, the adventures Adol and Dogi had were just terrific. I've played every single one of them but I only own Y's 3 and the PS2 Y's
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Fri Aug 29, '08, 9:44 pm

I just downloaded that yesterday, though I haven't played it yet. I always wanted to try the Ys series back in the day, but didn't have the systems it was on. Except that one on the SNES, that was pretty good.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby hugues » Sat Aug 30, '08, 1:50 am

The SNES one is Ys III which is "the Zelda 2 of the series". It's a good game overall (with an awesome soundtrack) but I've always preferred the original. I hope they release that for Virtual Console as well, if they do I wonder if they'd also offer the TG16 CD version or the Genesis/SNES version that would be a much smaller download.

Kaloes wrote:I loved Y's, the adventures Adol and Dogi had were just terrific. I've played every single one of them but I only own Y's 3 and the PS2 Y's

I have the original Master System game, the TG16 CD versions of I&II and III, the Genesis version of III, and the PS2 version of Ys VI. I have a copy of the translated Ys IV which I wish I could buy a legit copy of, I can dream.
hugues
Android
Android

Postby Thoul » Sat Aug 30, '08, 12:30 pm

I tried out the VC version last night. That was very different, especially as far as battles go. Just walking into the enemies... not at all what I expected. The cutscenes were very impressive, though. Especially considering the era when this was made. It really makes me wish Sega hadn't ditched the CD version of PSIV.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lemina » Mon Sep 1, '08, 4:22 pm

You guys make me want to try this game now! I've heard of the series a while ago, but I didn't know that any of them were released here.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Celeith » Wed Sep 3, '08, 6:38 pm

I know its been out for awhile but have you seen that Y's III remake they did for the PC? I believe its called Ys: The Oath in Felghana.. Whenever I get home I'm gonna see if I can find a download for the game as well as the english translation patch.. Y's III was just one of my favorites.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Thu Sep 4, '08, 3:01 am

Huh, I didn't even know they remade it. Pity it wasn't released in the US.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hugues » Fri Sep 5, '08, 2:05 am

Yeah, that was only released in Japan - http://www.falcom.com/ysf/index.html, from what I can tell it plays like Ys VI but is the story from Ys III.
hugues
Android
Android

Return to Retro Roundup