Video games & attention spans

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Video games & attention spans

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jul 11, '10, 2:45 am

A new study says that too much television and too much video games may cause attention problems:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/201 ... tion_N.htm

Comments or Opinions?

Of course we have all heard that too much of anything is not good for anyone. :yaknow: But it seems to me, that a lot of the time, people like to pick on Tv and Video Games for some reason. Maybe it's because they are both so popular and used so much by so many people of various ages, backgrounds, etc. It's gotten to where almost every week that TV or Video Games are being blamed for some illness, problem, situation, or something.

I was a bit surprised about the attention span thing, though, as I would assume playing video games especially, or even watching TV, would make for good attention span. I know that whenever I play video games or watch Tv, they have my full attention. :lol:
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Video games & attention spans

Postby Thoul » Sun Jul 11, '10, 3:37 am

I agree, it's probably another claim of "oh, video games are so bad" without real meat behind it. Unless they investigated everything else the people involved did, there's no true way to connect video games or TV to attention span. The attention difficulties could have been caused by some other factor in these people's lives.

Besides, how could video games lead to attention problems? Like you said, SS, games tend to attract someone's full attention when playing them. Less interactive games may not, but I'd like to see someone successfully play Mario or Sonic while not paying attention. :lol:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to In the News