Super Mario Bros.

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Nov 18, '07, 9:34 pm

I haven't played any of the newer Mario games. I have played Mario 1, 2, 3, and Super Mario 64, I think it was. Hardest was Mario 1 (I don't think I ever completely made it through all those stages). Favorite game was Mario 2, with No. 3 close behind. Yoshi's Island just lost me - never finished it either, I don't think. :bang:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 19, '07, 2:38 am

Snorb wrote:Sunshine was... well, it's like Super Mario 64, only on one island, and Mario has a water gun. There's no clues to help you get all the Shine Fragments in the game (unlike Mario 64/DS's names for the Stars), but damn, Isle Delfino is one pretty island.

As for the water gun itself, there's four nozzles- the standard spray nozzle, and Mario gets to pick between a hover nozzle, a rocket nozzle (launches him higher, but he has to charge it first), or a dash nozzle (run faster, but at the cost of your water!)

It sounds... well, weird. :p Mario's always been able to run faster on his own, so I don't see why he'd need the water for that.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 20, '07, 5:43 pm

I just realized that Galaxy is out now. Anyone planning to pick that up? It looked fun from the few clips I've seen on TV.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Tue Nov 20, '07, 6:18 pm

Two of my friends have gotten it and say that it's fun and addicting. I don't know much about the game itself, other than the few clips I've seen of the gameplay.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Wed Nov 21, '07, 8:48 pm

When I get a Wii, I may try to get a Wii + Mario Galaxy bundle. Just to try it out.

LordShibas wrote:I enjoyed the Mario games when I was younger, but I guess I've outgrown them now, since they just don't interest me at all anymore. Either that or I'm just sick of Nintendo cashing in on the stupid franchise instead of making something new.

Mario's been in a lot of games and usually I don't mind, but I think the Mario Party line was too much. They've made what, ten Mario Party games already? Yeesh. :faint:

Tsunami wrote:Now I remember Yoshi's Island... Yeah, that one was pretty bad. I remember trying it at a friend's house and I didn't like it at all.

We rented it, thank goodness. I couldn't return it to the store fast enough. It was just terrible. I hated the whole baby Bowser premise, too.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Chris8282 » Tue Dec 18, '07, 4:01 am

Super Mario World was the first game I ever saw. It was 1991, I was 2 years old, and I asked my Mom for one, even though I couldn't jump over the first pit in the game :).. Well, I think I was 3 or 4 when she bought me one. However, that was also when my brother bought Phantasy Star IV and I started to play it. I loved it. By that time, I was a pro at games for my age and actually beat Phantasy Star IV and attempted to get to Lv 99, before I knew about the bug. I think I got pretty close.
Chris8282
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 6

Postby Thoul » Mon Dec 31, '07, 10:59 pm

Since I got a Wii for Christmas, I decided to try Mario Galaxy. It's pretty good, though I haven't found it to be very challenging outside of the mini games. I'm still very early into the game, so maybe I just haven't found the best parts yet.

Bee Mario is a bit strange. I really don't like the limited flying meter.

I've been thinking of checking out Paper Mario for the Wii too. It seems to be a lot like the original Super Mario, so it might be a fun romp.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Retro Roundup