Super Mario Bros.

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Tsunami » Thu Nov 15, '07, 5:32 pm

I'm sure that everyone knows about the Mario series (including the newest addition, Super Mario Galaxy). However, I'm kinda curious about everyone's experiences with the series.

Which game is your favorite?

Which would you consider the hardest?

I've played the first three Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, and Super Mario RPG. Out of them, I've always had the hardest time with the first game, and Super Mario World is easily my favorite out of them (and the easiest, in my opinion).

I don't throw SMRPG in there with the side scrollers, since it's not really the same thing. However, it's great in its own way and is a very enjoyable game. I've been told that Paper Mario is also good, but I haven't tried it.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Nov 15, '07, 6:34 pm

Lol, to tell you the truth, I never really like Mario. I couldn't ever get the hang of it when I was younger, then it just became insanely difficult. Now the only problem is its the same thing over and over and over....
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Thu Nov 15, '07, 7:53 pm

Urm... I don't really remember which ones I've played for sure. The NES ones I know I played. They were good, but the first one was the hardest by far. I played some of the Super Nintendo games, but not all of them. SM World and Yoshi's Island, I think. I couldn't stand Yoshi's Island because of that whining baby.

I don't think I played any more after that. Not that I remember, anyway!
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Tsunami » Fri Nov 16, '07, 12:16 am

Now I remember Yoshi's Island... Yeah, that one was pretty bad. I remember trying it at a friend's house and I didn't like it at all.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Snorb » Fri Nov 16, '07, 1:33 am

Played Mario 1-3, World, 64, and Sunshine, along with New Super Mario Bros. Mario 3 is the best damn Mario game ever made, and I'll Righteous Smite anyone who dares to claim otherwise. The damn Tanooki Suit and Raccoon Leaf, along with that kick-ass shoe from World 5-3 make it really great. As for the hardest...

Super Mario Bros. 2. The real Super Mario Bros. 2 available on the Wii Shop, not the redrawn Doki Doki Panic game foisted on us back in a year that started with "Nineteen eighty-". Arrrrrrrrrrgh, the damn winds. The backwards warp zones. Tractionless moonjumping Luigi. Red Pirahna Plants. Those damn SMB1 physics. I sincerely refuse to believe anybody's beaten this all the way through. It's not Super Mario Forever/Frustration hard, but... damn, I don't think I've ever beaten world 1-4 on this. x_X
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Thoul » Fri Nov 16, '07, 2:39 am

I played Mario 1, 2 (the Doki version), 3, World, World 2: Yoshi's Island, 64, RPG, and Super Mario Land 2. I haven't played any since SM 64. No particular reason for that; I just haven't picked any of them up.

I never finished SMB 1. I got to the last stage, but could never clear it. I still remember bouncing on a Koopa shell for ages to get more 1-ups. :D

I like SMB2 - it was very unique and fun at the time. A lot of the enemies in it have become a stable of many Nintendo games, even crossing over into Zelda a few times. I'd love to see some of the bosses from it return some day.

SMB3 is awesome. Like Snorb said - the Tanooki, Leaf, and the Shoe are tons of fun. I like the P Wing too, though it makes some levels a little too easy. ;)

I loved Super Mario RPG because it made Bowser playable instead of just the same old villain. And he used a Chain Chomp for a weapon! That was just a whole new level of coolness.

Mario World and Mario Land 2 were both great as well, but they were much easier than the previous installments. Mario World gets bonus points for introducing Yoshi. I refuse to even consider playing Yoshi's Island again. That game was just too annoying. I don't even remember Mario 64. I know I played it and I'm pretty sure I finished it, but I don't remember a single thing about it at all.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Fri Nov 16, '07, 10:14 am

Snorb wrote:Played Mario 1-3, World, 64, and Sunshine, along with New Super Mario Bros. Mario 3 is the best damn Mario game ever made, and I'll Righteous Smite anyone who dares to claim otherwise. The damn Tanooki Suit and Raccoon Leaf, along with that kick-ass shoe from World 5-3 make it really great. As for the hardest...
I've always loved the 3rd one! Most of the abilities were pretty cool, so I can't really pick a favorite. I liked the Tanooki suit, frog suit, the big ol' shoe... :D

Thoul wrote:SMB3 is awesome. Like Snorb said - the Tanooki, Leaf, and the Shoe are tons of fun. I like the P Wing too, though it makes some levels a little too easy. ;)
Honestly, when I played it I never used the free items I got. I always saved them for later (especially P Wings). :o

I loved Super Mario RPG because it made Bowser playable instead of just the same old villain. And he used a Chain Chomp for a weapon! That was just a whole new level of coolness.
Bowser's probably my favorite character in it. It was pretty cool to have him in the party, but what I really liked was the humor, i.e. Bowser talking to himself when he meets Mario at Booster's Tower. :lol:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 17, '07, 4:30 am

I tended to save the free items, mainly the P Wings, for the last few stages. Some of that last world was really tough. I always used a Fire Flower when going into any fish infested areas. I loved burning the fish! :D

Bowser's probably my favorite character in it. It was pretty cool to have him in the party, but what I really liked was the humor, i.e. Bowser talking to himself when he meets Mario at Booster's Tower. :lol:

Yeah, that was great. They really made him a fun character to have along. :D

Hey Snorb, how was Sunshine? I've seen around in a few stores and I've thought about getting it, but I'm not sure about this whole water gun concept or whatever it is.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Snorb » Sun Nov 18, '07, 4:51 am

Sunshine was... well, it's like Super Mario 64, only on one island, and Mario has a water gun. There's no clues to help you get all the Shine Fragments in the game (unlike Mario 64/DS's names for the Stars), but damn, Isle Delfino is one pretty island.

As for the water gun itself, there's four nozzles- the standard spray nozzle, and Mario gets to pick between a hover nozzle, a rocket nozzle (launches him higher, but he has to charge it first), or a dash nozzle (run faster, but at the cost of your water!)

Oh, and Yoshi's in it, for whatever reason. *()&^#^%!ing Yoshi. Meh, I blame Super Smash Bros. for my hatred of him, though I liked him growing up in the 90s.

...Yeah, I'm that old.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby LordShibas » Sun Nov 18, '07, 1:39 pm

I enjoyed the Mario games when I was younger, but I guess I've outgrown them now, since they just don't interest me at all anymore. Either that or I'm just sick of Nintendo cashing in on the stupid franchise instead of making something new.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Next

Return to Retro Roundup