Sunsoft is back

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Sunsoft is back

Postby Thoul » Fri Dec 11, '09, 12:18 am

After a long absence from the gaming markets outside of Japan, Sunsoft is finally making a comeback. They were pretty big in the NES and Genesis days, with games like Batman, Final Fantasy Legend, and Blaster Master. Blaster Master is coming to the Virtual Console this month, marking Sunsoft's first US release since 2001. Plus, they've purchased the library of Telenet Japan, giving them rights to a bunch of additional retro games.

Are there any Sunsoft or Telenet Japan games you'd like to see re-released or remade on the modern consoles?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Sunsoft is back

Postby Snorb » Fri Dec 11, '09, 5:16 am

Oh, goodly! Now maybe I can get a non-hentai Valis V, and maybe a localization of the entire Exile series (first one was never released in the US, second one was thoroughly friendlyfied, and third one was just... uboaaaaaaaaah.)
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Darkil » Fri Dec 11, '09, 1:40 pm

This is excellent news! Maybe they'll also release a sequel to Fester's Quest :idea:
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby hugues » Wed Dec 16, '09, 5:41 pm

Since Victor Ireland is behind this I think it will be successful. Well, maybe not a huge mainstream success but those of us into more obscure games should be satisfied. I think most Phantasy Star fans would also enjoy the Cosmic Fantasy series but since only one game was released in the US few had the opportunity. Even if just Cosmic Fantasy II was re-released on the VC we'd have a lot of happy classic RPG fans.

I hope they can clear the licensing to bring the NES Batman onto the VC. It was easily one of the best Batman games for any system.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Darkil » Thu Dec 17, '09, 1:39 pm

I've been meaning to get out my copy of Cosmic Fantasy II and finish it up. It was definitely reminiscent of Phantasy Star I [a bit more updated of course]. Certainly a great, classic style RPG. Hopefully this will bring out a lot of gems that many haven't had the chance to play.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby MrKite » Wed Dec 23, '09, 5:35 am

Alright! They're back in business! Sunsoft made some * stuff. They also made the BEST, and I meant THE BEST light gun game I ever played on the 8-bit NES:Freedom Force. This game also had the BEST cinematic I ever saw in an NES game. See for yourself:

Intro and some gameplay footage. Now are you gonna really sit there and tell me that that intro is not the BEST damn cinematic sequence you ever saw in an NES game? They should put that game on the Virtual Console in addition to BM, and they should also put Journey To Silius on there too. As for Telenet Japan games, I'd love to see El Viento on there, and if the Sega CD ever gets added to the Virtual Console like the TurboGrafx CD was, I'd love to see Sol Feace too. Sol Feace was a great shmup.
Last edited by Thoul on Wed Dec 23, '09, 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Youtube code fix
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Return to Retro Roundup