My progression as a PS fan-artist (2002 - 2010)

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

My progression as a PS fan-artist (2002 - 2010)

Postby Lyla2284 » Sun Jul 25, '10, 10:37 am

Some of you will know that I've been planning to submit earlier works of mine that track my progression as a PS fan-artist, from late November 2002 right up until now. It also serves as a means of encouragement to other fan-artists to know just how much effort it takes to produce decent artwork. You'll rarely get your preferred piece right the first time, it takes ages and lots of patience (and hair-pulling moments)... and caffiene.

My journey took nearly 8 years (without training...), and I'm still not as good as I hope to be. I took ages to get Alys right, mainly because of her hairstyle, but because she was my favourite character, I persisted with drawing her, every single day of my life, up until I got her just the way I wanted her to look. :D It's just a reminder to tell you guys that everyone has to start off somewhere, and even I was terrible in the beginning. ^^

So, here it is, a large image ( 56K WARNING ). These images come from a series of PS4 comics I made back in the day. I did lots of small images for practice, instead of doing one big fan-art at a time. I can't find an image that dates back to 2008, though. Not that it matters, my art style between 2006 and 2009 are rather stagnant. ><

Hope you guys like it. ^^
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Re: My progression as a PS fan-artist (2002 - 2010)

Postby H-Man » Thu Jul 29, '10, 2:25 pm

You truly have evolved as an artist, Lyla. Your style began very cartoonish in presentation, followed by a general improvement in appearance but with large foreheads, and then you improved that and seemed to be a bit angular, but by the time you were 18, you seemed to iron out most of the bugs in your drawing/painting style and now you produce magnificent work.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Lyla2284 » Thu Jul 29, '10, 3:07 pm

Yes, it took me a good 5 years to get everything the way I wanted it to look. And I was practicing every single day of my life, even at the expense of my school work ><. My parents wouldn't let me study art for some obscure reason, otherwise my talent could have been better than what it is now. Hope I didn't sound big-headed with that statement... I still have a massive file with all these original drawings in it. It's sort of hard to let go of it, embarrassing as the work is.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Solar » Thu Jul 29, '10, 4:30 pm

That progress you've made... it's very nice.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Jul 29, '10, 8:15 pm

This topic needs more rawr. Also, Gah. I thought I replied to this already! >_<

Well, I just saw something which makes me laugh. Even back then you had the whole Long Neck Syndrome going on. :lol:

But still, you were a good artist back then, but now you are a smexy artist now. =3

2007 Alys wants to eat me. RAWR!
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jul 31, '10, 7:48 pm

Lyla, thanks for showing us some of your work. My, you were very good to begin with but over the years one can see how very extraordinarily talented you have become. Your words of inspiration to others are very encouraging also. Keep up the good work, and have fun doing it always!

:clap: :yes:
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby MrKite » Wed Oct 6, '10, 8:52 pm

Time to revive this thread! I love the Alys x Rune pic!
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby vontrapp » Sun Oct 10, '10, 10:36 pm

Wow you really have progressed and shown to practice makes ..... :)
vontrapp
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 43

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Oct 11, '10, 1:34 pm

Talk about progression, Lyla. That takes some dedication. All I have to say is keep it up. :)
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Tue Feb 28, '12, 12:20 pm

I was watching to this topic, that I found seeing the fantastic artwork of Rolf : fantastic work ! Did anyone know if Lyla continue to draw anymore ? She doesn't seem to be on the site anymore. Thanks in advance !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Next

Return to Artwork