Oddities from Kain's Text Adventure

Continue the story of Algo in side story, remake, and collection games.

Oddities from Kain's Text Adventure

Postby Thoul » Tue Jul 8, '08, 4:38 am

So today I played through Kain's text adventure game for the first time with the MIJET translation patch. It's kind of fun, but it really threw me for a loop on a couple of things.

In this game, Kain creates something he calls a psy-gun. It's a gun that, the game says, shoots technique power to fry robots internally. It's uber-powerful, too. So I'm setting there thinking... why did we not have this in PSII??? All the robots would have fallen like dominoes. Then I thought about what Espers could do with psy-guns. Imagine Rune or Kyra with one. Who needs Wren anymore? Just give me an Esper with a psy-gun and it's game over for Cyber Dark Force.

And also, the town Kain lives in has a Chinese restaurant. I don't know if that's a liberty the translation team took or just part of the game even in the original. But really... a Chinese restaurant in Algo. I know the Earthmen would have been there for a long time, but why would they bother introducing Chinese food to Motavia?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby newsblade » Tue Jul 8, '08, 1:37 pm

Maybe it was an Asian response to the Americanization fast food in PSIeng (burger, cola, etc.) or maybe they wanted to give a "Blade Runner" environment where the game starts with the detective near a chinese-restaurant.

Anyway, it is possible that Mother Brain has not only Algol's information data but also Earth's and Sol's system information data which includes traditions, style of living, tastes, literature and many other cultural aspects like... food.

So why introducing this new types of food?
Because they are good, they sell well. The proof is that they worked very well on planet Earth. Many kinds of food is synonym of progress. Also I have the idea that Earthmen on Noah ship couldn't produce any kind of food so they need to bring food from their own ship. Perolymate or monomate didn't suite earthmen's tastes so they introduced these many kinds of "foreign" (in Algol's perspective) food. In this way they could survive without too much sacrifice and without missing the old cooks they were used to eat.
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Shinuzzo » Tue Jul 8, '08, 9:38 pm

It's Kain, how long do you think the psy-gun would last before he accidentally would break it?
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Postby Thoul » Thu Jul 10, '08, 8:01 pm

newsblade wrote:Also I have the idea that Earthmen on Noah ship couldn't produce any kind of food so they need to bring food from their own ship. Perolymate or monomate didn't suite earthmen's tastes so they introduced these many kinds of "foreign" (in Algol's perspective) food. In this way they could survive without too much sacrifice and without missing the old cooks they were used to eat.

That makes sense. I hadn't given it much thought, but Noah would surely be low on resources and need more supplies by that point. Still, I have to wonder how they explained calling it "Chinese" to the people of Algo. Someone had to be curious about that at some point.

It's Kain, how long do you think the psy-gun would last before he accidentally would break it?

Okay, that's a good point. It did break during the game, but that wasn't his fault and he was able to fix it. I could see it breaking or the robots getting an upgrade to protect them against it later.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby newsblade » Fri Jul 11, '08, 12:05 pm

Thoul wrote:Someone had to be curious about that at some point.

Yes, and that was the main cause for the rise of the rebellion forces.
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Return to Other Classics