Another Genesis Collection Announced

Continue the story of Algo in side story, remake, and collection games.

Another Genesis Collection Announced

Postby Thoul » Sun Nov 9, '08, 3:24 am

Sega has announced another collection of Genesis games that is slated to include the classic Phantasy Stars. This one is called "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection" and is slated for PlayStation 3 and Xbox360 for next year. There are over 40 games in this one for just $30, so it sounds like a great deal if you have one of those systems.

Maybe the most interesting part of this collection is this:
Sega wrote:ALL TITLES UPGRADED TO HI-DEF. The classic 2D style never looked so good! Each of the titles has been converted to hi-def (720p) and will be a blast to play using the intuitive controls of the Xbox 360® and PLAYSTATION®3 systems.

It'll be interesting to see how these older games look in high definition.

The odd thing is, the official description of the game says it includes four Phantasy Star titles, but only II, III, and IV are listed. It makes you wonder what the fourth one is, since this is a Genesis collection and the Genesis only had those three.

Official site: http://www.sega.com/games/?g=577
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Sun Nov 9, '08, 5:58 am

In Japan Phantasy Star 1 was re-released for Sega Genesis but only in limited quantities I read it on gamefaqs.com :wink: .

And about the release of this game all I have to say is...Awesome. :)

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby newsblade » Sun Nov 9, '08, 1:32 pm

Yes, maybe PSI is one of those "feature bonus content from its 8-bit Master System and 1980’s arcade era games library. (*Unlockable games to be revealed soon!)" I wish they reconstructed the "Deluxe Edition" (at least the graphics) to the PS3/XBOX360 collection...

The good news is that we'll have ripped images in hi-definition too. Finally we'll see those PSIV cut scenes without pixels (I hope they don't mess things up, if things go wrong it may look terrible and worse than the original product... let's wait to see if they do a good job).
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Re: Another Genesis Collection Announced

Postby hugues » Sun Nov 9, '08, 1:50 pm

Thoul wrote:There are over 40 games in this one for just $30, so it sounds like a great deal if you have one of those systems.

Compared to the Virtual Console pricing that is a really great deal. It's $10 over what the PS2/PSP collection is going for but the upscaling is worth a few extra bucks.

Thoul wrote:The odd thing is, the official description of the game says it includes four Phantasy Star titles, but only II, III, and IV are listed. It makes you wonder what the fourth one is, since this is a Genesis collection and the Genesis only had those three.

My vote is "typo". The PR guy who wrote the press release (and has never played any of these games) saw "Phantasy Star IV" in the game list which he translated to "four Phantasy Star titles".
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Lemina » Sun Nov 9, '08, 3:17 pm

Now this sounds promising. :hyper: 40 games for $30? A screaming deal. Now if only I could obtain an Xbox 360...

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Sixfortyfive » Sun Nov 9, '08, 6:32 pm

$50 says that "high definition" means "2xSAI filter."
Sixfortyfive
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 8

Postby Celeith » Sun Nov 9, '08, 6:42 pm

High Definition for PSIV is gonna be neat, I'll probably get this collection. Hopfully they'll fix the bug from the last collection that the music keeps playing after the battle is finished.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 15, '08, 4:48 am

My vote is "typo". The PR guy who wrote the press release (and has never played any of these games) saw "Phantasy Star IV" in the game list which he translated to "four Phantasy Star titles".

It looks like you were right. The page has been updated now and no longer says "four Phantasy Star titles."

Sega wrote:• THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF CLASSIC SEGA TITLES. All the favorites are here including Sonic The Hedgehog, titles from the Phantasy Star™ series, as well as three titles from the Streets of Rage™ series, to name a few.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Nov 17, '08, 5:18 am

Thoul wrote:

It looks like you were right. The page has been updated now and no longer says "four Phantasy Star titles."

Sega wrote:• THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF CLASSIC SEGA TITLES. All the favorites are here including Sonic The Hedgehog, titles from the Phantasy Star™ series, as well as three titles from the Streets of Rage™ series, to name a few.

Oh well, it was a good laugh while it lasted. ^_^
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 17, '08, 8:21 pm

I suppose it could still be an unlockable, though. There is a press release that says Master System games will be included.

I think some of the unlockable content is going to be carried over from the PS2/PSP collection. This collection is being handled by another branch of the same company that did that and the Gameboy Phantasy Star Collection.

Oh, Europe folks take note: in your neck of the woods, this collection is going to be called "SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection." Another name difference like the last Sega collection, but I think you're getting the better name this time.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Other Classics