Strange things in Phantasy star (spoilers)

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Re: Strange things in Phantasy star (spoilers)

Postby Abominae » Wed Jan 13, '10, 6:48 pm

They never mention what was transpiring on Palm during these events, so it's reasonable to assume they knew something was up.

However, that theory goes down the toilet when you remember that it was the prison satellite that Rolf & Co. were on that crashed into Palma and destroyed it. They had, what... 10 minutes to build millions of habitat spaceships and load up the entire population?

Time management on Palma must have been uber l33t
Abominae
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 27

Postby ThugsRook » Fri Jan 15, '10, 3:04 am

PSII: theres a spaceship on the roof? theres a visaphone in the baggage room?
is there anything else you arent telling me!?!

PSII: Motavian agents dont carry weapons.

PSII: the entire game, not once do we enter a biodome.

PSII: Motavian water systems are grossly overengineered.

PSII: im pretty sure that Lutz is screwing with me... he never even met Nei! :?
ThugsRook
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 15

Postby Lucas » Fri Jan 15, '10, 3:24 am

ThugsRook wrote:PSII: im pretty sure that Lutz is screwing with me... he never even met Nei! :?

The Nei Weapons :lol: That’s a good one! :clap:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Ultimate AI » Tue Apr 13, '10, 3:42 pm

Abominae wrote:They had, what... 10 minutes to build millions of habitat spaceships and load up the entire population?

Ome_Joop wrote:How would the people of Palm know of the Gaira satelite destroying the planet anyway (PS IV Space Ship) as it was not really an anounced event and it does not seem that the people/government on Palm were disloyal to the Mother Brain...

Compendium:
The resistance discovers that Eusis and the others are being held on the prison satellite Gaila; Tyler, commander of the raider warship Landeel, is dispatched to rescue them. Shortly before that, the underground resistance's young leaders, Ohario Sa Riik and Aina Le Cille, succeed in cutting off their spaceship's remote control system from Mother Brain, and, before the fall of Gaila, evacuate many people in rescue ships left over from the time of the Conjunction.
Ultimate AI
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Tanith » Tue Apr 13, '10, 9:33 pm

If the Japanese version of PSIII takes place 1,000 years after the events of PSIV, how does the Dark Force trapped on the ship survive the solid defeat of the Profound Darkness in PSIV?

Also in the Japanese version of PSIII, Mieu is only, what, 400? 500? years old. The ship has fallen into a dark age, so who built her? If she was built by the engineers in Techna, how did she get in the Landen dome?

If the resistance movement knew all the evil that was going on with Dark Force, Mother Brain, the earthmen, etc, why didn't they warn Motavia (and to a lesser extent, Dezolis)? They obviously had enough time to think about and orchestrate (even if the ships already existed, they'd have to gather millions of people into them, so they certainly have enough time to place a call to their sister planet) their escape.

If Tyler was a part of the movement, why didn't he say anything to Rolf about it after he rescued the group?

PSII: Motavian agents dont carry weapons.

Well, you do start out with a knife. :wink: It's a game device. If you started out with a big, honkin' gun or a laser sword, it would ruin the gameplay.

PSII: the entire game, not once do we enter a biodome.

You mean the domes that were all over the countryside? Those are for agriculture. I don't see a reason why they should be entered.

PSII: Motavian water systems are grossly overengineered.

Ha, true. It's also disconcerting that power is so easily rerouted between all the planet's major facilities. I blame it on the totalitarian government. When the government is in control of everything, it's too easy for things to go horribly wrong, since there's no system of checks and balances in place.

PSII: im pretty sure that Lutz is screwing with me... he never even met Nei! :?

The Nei weapons have nothing to do with Nei the numan. Nei is an ancient word meaning "power." Of course, that's not explained until after the game, so I see what you're saying. Since the word Esper is based on ESP, though, it's safe to assume Lutz had some idea of Nei's existence. Too bad he didn't fully understand the evil on Noah, though, and sent the group up Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid style.
Last edited by Tanith on Tue Apr 13, '10, 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 13, '10, 9:43 pm

It's easy to understand why Dark Force can exist without the PD.

How did the one on EARTH exist? There was no contact with the PD at all. It fed off emotions. That DF was cut off from Algo completely.

Dark Force POSSESSED Rulakir. It used Rulakir as a temporary host while its body was TRAPPED.

If you watched the last Legend of the Seeker, a similar principle was done with the ancient enemy. Even though you trapped the body, it lived on. Then it possessed someone else.

It's common in many anime and games that a evil's body is TRAPPED while the soul lives on feeding.

Dark Force has its own soul. It feeds and lives. It was never DESTROYED. It was trapped with a seal.
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby Tanith » Tue Apr 13, '10, 9:58 pm

Rick wrote:How did the one on EARTH exist? There was no contact with the PD at all. It fed off emotions. That DF was cut off from Algo completely.

What are you talking about? Is this something from one of the games outside the original Phantasy Star (I-IV) series? You can't really point to that as an example.

If Dark Force needed a host to survive without the Profound Darkness, then once you defeat it at the end of the game, it should have been destroyed for good. Instead, Dark Force just wanders off again and warns how we'll see him in 1,000 years.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 14, '10, 3:20 am

How did the one on EARTH exist? There was no contact with the PD at all. It fed off emotions. That DF was cut off from Algo completely.

What are you talking about? Is this something from one of the games outside the original Phantasy Star (I-IV) series? You can't really point to that as an example.

I take it from Naflign's translation of Japanese PS 2. Dark Force existed on Earth far far away from the PD.

If Dark Force needed a host to survive without the Profound Darkness, then once you defeat it at the end of the game, it should have been destroyed for good. Instead, Dark Force just wanders off again and warns how we'll see him in 1,000 years.

How do we really know he'll return in 1000 years? He could have been jesting. We see it all the time. A last minute scare.

Lashiec says the same thing. Lashiec says as long as Dark Force exists, then he will. After all, he summoned Dark Force and became his servant.

Maybe Dark Force found someone else to inhabit and feed off of. How many people in PS 3 want revenge?

Dark Force EXISTS because he lands on EARTH to influence the EARTHMEN. That is the only way he wound up on earth.

Also, if we take Prophallus' into account, that could be the true body of Dark Force. After all, Lashiec summoned a DARK FORCE and we never see that type again till PS IV.

The goal of PS IV is to defeat the PD and reseal him away so the PD can't release Dark Forces into Algo. But what about ones that already escaped?

Dark Force existed after the PD was destroyed to be with the Earthmen.

It isn't a hard concept to follow
Rick
Android
Android

Postby Tanith » Wed Apr 14, '10, 4:07 am

Rick wrote:It isn't a hard concept to follow

Thank you for questioning my intelligence. :roll:

Listen, I get what you're saying, I just think it's a lot of excuses (not directed at you, directed at Sega) to explain away continuity problems.

We've argued about this before, and I'll just restate that I have huge problems with the Japanese PSIII timeline. As lackluster as the English version was, at least it avoided some of the continuity issues that the Japanese version created.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 14, '10, 5:15 am

What will really get you is the Earthmen's speech in PS 2 and relate it to the compendium.

2,000,000 Years Ago - The war is settled. As a result of the victorious side sealing the defeated side away, one fixed star and four planets are created, "Protectors of the Seal" are made on the four planets, and one kind of sentient life form is allocated to each.

Now let's go the Earthmen from Jap Ps 2..

Captain-We are not Algorians. We come from a far away planet called Earth. It is one of the planets that supported life. We created a large civilization there, which flourished for millions of years (note the word millions...clearly, Bill Gates isn't behind Mother Brain after all). We are the last bloodline of the inhabitants of planet Earth.

By looking at it now, we must regret that we were fools. We knew the evil force, Dark Farusu, existed in our minds, but was unable to suppress it. We soon began to grow fond of controlling the natural world through scientific means. We only recognized we were killing ourselves when the planet began to crumble before our very own eyes. The survivors, which you see now, barely made it to this ship and escaped. We wondered hopelessly through the universe searching for another home. Then we found Algol, your star system. We gloated over your peaceful lives, your lives without the presence of evil. That was when we vowed to ourselves to take over your star system no matter what it took. Soon, we were able to destroy your planet of Parma. Certainly you are no fools to oppose us with such a powerful force, are you not? You shall now die for us and for our future.

We are simply taking what we lost from you, there is nothing else to it. We lost Mother Brain, but with our remaining technology, we will be able to rule Algol with ease. You are the only ones opposing us. Algol shall be ours if you are not present. All of our opposition shall die, including you

That right there is some interesting data to look at. It seems that the Earthmen blame Algo for the loss of their Earth and blame Rolf for losing Mother Brain. But they don't need Mother Brain to begin with.

I believe Dark Force can exist without the PD once it escapes. If it isn't defeated, it grows stronger on negative emotions?

SO.. Dark Force came to Earth in that one PS 3 ending and the other one where they see a Earth type planet?

P.S. You just gotta accept that in the minds of the japanese, the body and soul are seperate and one can exist without the other and.. that they can't count to 1000 correctly XD

I didn't put the 'not hard to understand" comment to you my dear Tanith.

P.S.S. TITANIA is a better character in Fire Emblem than Tanith! Mwa hahahaha....
Rick
Android
Android

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Series