Best Ocean Treatment

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Best Ocean Treatment

Postby Thoul » Tue Dec 16, '08, 7:41 am

Many video games have included levels by or on the sea. What are some of your favorite renditions of the ocean?

The first one that comes to my mind in the beaches on the optional planet in Rogue Galaxy. It didn't allow for much exploration, but it really gave the impression of visiting the ocean.

Okami's sea areas were also very good. They were really able to portray the vastness of the ocean quite well.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Tue Dec 16, '08, 3:21 pm

Legend of Zelda: Windwaker was one of the best ocean's i've seen in a game. Well considering 93% of it is ocean, 3% is towns and islands, and the last 4% is dungeons I say this game did well in using the ocean as its main field instead of the classical continent.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Dec 16, '08, 3:23 pm

I am going to have to agree on Okami. You really get a sense of it after you get the Water Tablet and can find all those goodies hidden under the ocean in the Ryoshima Coast region.

I also like the treatment of oceans in Morrowind. There's all kinds of stuff hidden under the ocean, including one of the Daedra quests and if you choose to swim across oceans instead of use the shipping service...well, it can take a while to get to where you're going. Mods make the oceans even better...add fish, sharks, manta rays...just make the oceans realistic.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Tue Dec 16, '08, 5:47 pm

Kaloes wrote:Legend of Zelda: Windwaker was one of the best ocean's i've seen in a game. Well considering 93% of it is ocean, 3% is towns and islands, and the last 4% is dungeons I say this game did well in using the ocean as its main field instead of the classical continent.

Good one. Yeah, they really did a great job with replacing the generic huge landmass with an ocean. It's a pity that Phantom Hourglass didn't do as well. The sailing is easier to handle, but the ocean is just less interesting.

Caged Wolf wrote:I am going to have to agree on Okami. You really get a sense of it after you get the Water Tablet and can find all those goodies hidden under the ocean in the Ryoshima Coast region.

Heh, I wish I had known about the Water Tablet earlier in the game. I got most of the ocean treasures before I found it. Lots of lilypads and wind involved there!
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to General Gaming